cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Line Management Power Cuts

Dougisallt

Dynamic Line Management Power Cuts

Is it possible to get DLM made less sensitive.  I can see speeds from 29mb down to 10mb.  I have done all the move router to main socket stuff and had 3 open reach engineer visits who all say the line is good for 35 mb

We are out in the wilds in Wales and have regular power outages be it weather or maintenance. Some are only for seconds as SP switch lines and maybe several times in a day.  I have had a generator for years just in case.  I assume the on off of the router will affect the DLM.  I can often see the speed rise until a power issue and then it drops.  Ideas please !

Doug

6 REPLIES 6
plus2

Re: Dynamic Line Management Power Cuts

I got myself a small UPS for my modem (£20 amazon) and now it’s up continuously even if there a small to large outages. I had the same problem with the DLM with power issues.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

what router are you using?

I had suffered from a spate of powercuts for a good while, ( since stabilised hopefully) my router now sits behind a mini 12volt UPS very much like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000283674705.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=...

keeps the router alive for approximately 4 hours

Another option would be to see if your router will run on a 5 volt supply as opposed to 12volt, and then use a power bank with pass through charging see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eow6RcFpP0M

One word of caution - using a powerbank/12v ups on your router may cause problems if the supply is out of spec - use at your own risk, personally i use an APC UPS for my PC  and a few other things that object to having their power cut off, and a 12volt one for my router

the APC device i have for my P.C and other things is similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000GL19BW/ref=twister_B084XMPWGM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

you could use that on your router ( as it provides mains output on battery) and other equipment such as a Sky box, or small light

Dougisallt

Hi I am using a hub 1 , the second supplied in 3 months since going FTTC.  I am not sure of the voltage but might try a DC ups.

Thanks

Doug

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sorry this may be OT, but it has happened around my parents house.

Years back we had a power cut, me and my dad did the usual of going down to our local pub which (suprisingly) was open. Someone told us, yes "They're cycling the power around and yours will go off at 9pm". 9:10pm it did so he was right.

Turned out (I can't remember how I found it, must have been in the local news) that some metal theives cut through some industial cables for some £'s.

One got electrocuted doing it, if that isn't justice I don't know what is.

Sorry, back on topic. It could (massive could) someone is doing that around your area.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Dougisallt 

A 12V input and output UPS rather than a mains one is an outwardly better solution. But, bear in mind that you will need an output plug that's compatible with the hub. Reading other posts these may not be a standard size.

Edit

If you use the hub psu to charge this 12V UPS then the input socket must also be compatible.

If you use an ac UPS you need to read the power rating on the hub power supply plug. If you don't understand the niceties of form factor and switched mode power supples then basically the UPS needs to be able to supply the 240V input current to the UPS but the dc output power requirements are far less than the ac input V times current so it will run for a long time on battery. The power supply might run on a smaller UPS but you will not know unless you try.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The plusnet  Hub one is the same as the BT home hub 5a ( long since discontinued by BT) which has an odd size power jack - i believe this could be 3mm and outer 6.3mm going by the Q+A section here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyVolts-power-supply-compatible-Router/dp/B00RM5Y35Y

so you will need to source power jacks or jack adaptors that will fit - or make your own cable up.

depending upon your own confidence/skill level you could even make your own UPS

Some routers will even work on a 5volt input - i haven't tested this with the plusnet hub 1 as i dont have a compatible jack ( yet)  my current router is a TP link Archer VR 2800 and that sits behind a 12volt UPS as mentioned previously.

Your options would be:

a 240V UPS with standard mains sockets on such as the unit from APC mentioned previously:

its easy to install, requires no extra jacks/adaptors or DIY cable making use and will keep other things going as well , however it will be in effect wasting power by brining its battery up to mains then the routers power brick stepping it back down again, plus it will be the most expensive option

A 12volt UPS, the biggest difficulty here is finding a compatible power jack

a mobile phone power bank with pass through charging, possibly the cheapest option, but the router will have to play nice on 5 volts instead of 12 i've tried it with some devices, but noit the hub 1 due to no jack adaptor, someone else made a video about such as set up here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eow6RcFpP0M

one thing to be wary of, is that a 12 volt powerbank, a 5 volt supply, making your own UPS or anything other than using the supplied power adaptor could potentially void any warranty  should any third party power supplies or home made solution malfunction - and if you dont know what your doing with basic electrical supplies  then an APC/consumer UPS solution would be the only real option