cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drops every time it rain

FIXED
Sezlord

Drops every time it rain

Every time it rains, our connection drops. At first I thought it was coincidence but it’s definitely not. I found a post here suggesting it was due to copper wire between the house and the pole. An engineer was dispatched the next day to have it changed over. Any chance we could get the same please? Many thanks 😊
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Drops every time it rain

Fix

Thanks for your post @Sezlord and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see your broadband drops when it rains. I've tested your line today and the tests are indeed showing a fault on the copper line, but unlike last time where we could arrange an engineer to investigate externally, the type of fault we're detecting now means we'd need to arrange an engineer visit for further investigation. 

Could you raise a fault to us at faults.plus.net and in the notes box at the end, please add your availability for an engineer visit. The available timeslots are weekdays (and occasionally Saturday's) 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. This means we'll be able to arrange an engineer straight away once we've picked the fault up.

Feel free to post back when you've raised the fault and we'll make sure that is picked up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sezlord

Hi Gandalf, thanks for the reply. I went through the troubleshooting guide but it still intermittently drops, always when it starts to rain. I believe it’s the same issue I read on here to do with copper wire. Thanks again for your help
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Did you raise the fault as suggested at https://faults.plus.net?
Until that's done PN won't be able to get an engineer out to investigate it for you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You've said both times about it being the same issue that you've read about in another post.  This may or may not be 100% correct.  It sounds like water is getting into a joint in your copper cable somewhere.  Your cable will likely joined in quite a number of places from the cabinet, going underground, possibly through a number of chambers, maybe up a pole, then maybe across to another pole, before getting to your property.  At any of those points it may have a join.  Once at your property there may be extension wiring, which may have joints in it.

Whilst the type of fault you have may well be similar to another post, where that fault is could be quite different.  It's most likely something on the Openreach network which they will need to fix, but there is still a chance that it is on your side, whichisn't anything Openreach (or Plusnet) can physically do anything with.

The troubleshooting that Gandalf has asked you to do is to narrow down the chances of it being on your side of the network and if it is an Openreach issue for you to then raise a fault to get someone to come and have a look at your line and hopefully find which joint is at issue and fix it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sezlord

Hi there,
Yes I have, I’m waiting for PN to contact me as the result of my home tests I was asked to complete.
Many thanks 😊
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Sezlord,

I've just taken a look into this one and I can see you've spoken to our Faults Team today. Please let us know how the upcoming engineer visit goes and we'll be happy to pick the case back up for review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Sezlord

Turns out it was the copper wire outside the property. The engineer came out, ran some tests and confirmed it needed replacing.
We have had rain for two days and not one single drop out!!! Sorted 🙂