cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping out/Poor speed

suke
Grafter

Dropping out/Poor speed

Raised a question on the 20/3/2018, 170851504 re poor speeds and dropping out.  Question was last answered on the 27/3/2018 and yet i still continue to have problems.  Is anybody listening?

13 REPLIES 13
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Dropping out/Poor speed

Hi suke somtimes it can take 48-72 hours for support tickets to be answered. they are most likely running some tests on ya connection.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I can see one of my colleagues has tested your line and detected a potential external fault. I've now passed this fault to our suppliers to investigate further. We'd expect this to be investigated within 3 working days.

Thank you for your patience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

So another weeks gone by, a visit from another BT engineer and still my broadband is rubbish.  What happens now?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

I'll get your fault updated shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
veeb1

We've had an ongoing problem since 19 January 2018!  We have had three engineers out, two for the broadband and one for a noisy line.  Our broadband still keeps dropping out and today the phone line is noisy again!  It dropped at 13.52 today just before I was going out.  When I went down the road (not far) there was a Com Vergent van and two guys at the cabinet so obviously a problem somewhere.  What's that all about?!!!!  Before this year we didn't have any problems!

suke
Grafter

If its any consolation mate mines been ongoing since October last year when i first went on to fibre.  Tomorrow another engineer will show up.  He will plug his test meter into the master socket, run all the tests and then say i cant find anything wrong.  He will be the 8th engineer to visit and still my problem is not resolved.  Seems to me if the BT engineer cannot find anything wrong with his test meter he doesn't know what else to do.  Strikes me they all need some more training.  I don't know how much they charge Plusnet to attend a call out but they must be making a fortune out of my problem

suke
Grafter

So after 2 engineers attended spedd increased to about 33mbits for approx 1 week.  For the last 3 days speed has dropped back down to 5mbits.  What happens now?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @suke

Sorry to hear the issue is still persisting. We have checked the connection on our side and it appears to be operating as it should which you can see from the test results below.

Can you advise if the speed you are seeing is over a wired or wireless connection?

Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 670.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-04-24T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 4.7 Mbps 40.0 Mbps 32.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 764.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 6.0 0.0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
suke
Grafter

I always use a wired connection when checking the speed.  I use Ookla and BTW performance test when checking the speed.  I can tell you when i checked the speed it was down to 5 mbits.  At this moment in time and also this morning the speed was back up to about 35mbits.  This was not the case when i checked it on Monday and Tuesday

Can you show me the graph since last Sunday?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 670.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-04-24T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 4.7 Mbps Angry 40.0 Mbps 32.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 764.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 6.0 0.0

@SammyM Dod you miss the obvious minimum speed? Clearly something is still not right with this line. It may have been right when you tested, but something is not right!

@suke When your speeds drop, have you listed to the line? Dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone. Something seems to be impacting your line, but finding intermittent can be really frustrating, and so the more information you can provide the faults guys the easier it may be. So keep an eye on weather conditions, I would suggest a longer radius graph from PN may help spot regular interference. If you are able to run any monitoring software on your network this may also help.

HTH 

suke
Grafter

Mustrum

This has been ongoing since i changed over to fibre late last year. 

Yes i did miss the minimum speed but it looks like Plusnet chose to ignore this and clearly you are right, something is still going on with this line

I havent done the quiet line yet but will do so the next time the speed drops.  I have mentioned to BT engineers that it seems to be when we have rain, also the estate i live is a new one and the roads are just being finished off so could be a consequence of this work.  However having said that this road work has only been going on for the last 4 weeks and since my fault has been going on a lot longer i think we can count that out.

Not sure what you mean about a longer radius graph bit i guess this is something Plusnet has to action?

Again not sure about monitoring software but if this is something i can do what software do i need?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear the speeds are still poor.

For reference the minimum speed shown in @SammyM test above is the lowest speed that the router has synced at over the last 14 days rather than the current speed.

As shown in the graph below your router's sync speed was poor but seems to have improved back to normal.

RRT graph.PNGAt the moment the line is testing fine so if your speeds are still poor we'd need you to carry out a speedtest here. You'll need to click further diagnostics after the initial results and enter your phone number to upload the test.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
suke
Grafter

Mathew

Thats the way my internet varies.  Now i'm quite happy to accept the odd drop out, but when the speed drops to approx 1/3rd of what it should be over 3 days i don't think thats acceptable and considering the amount of time this has been going on, i think thats totally unacceptable.

I will continue to monitor the speeds but i will be back if it drops because i don't think this problem has been sorted yet