cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping internet connection

redpj
Dabbler

Dropping internet connection

I'm experiencing drop outs of internet connection quite frequently. This is happening over both wi-fi and wired (using homeplugs). I can't see anything in the router logs that stand out to me as disconnect/reconnects.

Are there any tests that can be run to determine whether the cause is between router and internet, or is internal to my router and wireless/homeplug network.

I've never noticed the issue in the past and only seems to be occurring during past few weeks.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Dropping internet connection

@redpj 

Ethernet cables of any length are available on line very cheaply. Substituting your Homeplugs with a proper cable temporarily will tell you whether you have a network problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

redpj
Dabbler

It seems to drop WiFi as well at same time. I was planning to start debugging network once my connection was deemed stable.
Not enough ports on router for home schooling and working from home, for long cables to be a valid option for any length of time!!
I will look to pick up a 25m cable to run some checks though.
ecrTech
Grafter

Hi before you do that, Try this link BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com)

to see if you have enough speed for all the live streams you do at the same time.

redpj
Dabbler

On the homeplug furthest from the router, and also on a circuit on a separate ecb I get 28ms ping, 53 Mbps down 10 Mbps up. Its quicker direct into router. I believe that should be quick enough.