cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping connection on a daily basis

jezzabers

Dropping connection on a daily basis

We've had PlusNet fibre broadband and phone since mid January. Now almost as much as twice a day or more, the internet connection keeps dropping, and weirdly its inconsistant by dropping from all devices to just dropping from my computer. Turning the router off and on again doesn't always fix the problem. Being able to restart the router through accessing the Hub Manager on my phone doesn't always fix the problem.

Its just blind luck on how quickly the problem resolves itself. I really be having these connection issues. Its hardly a signal strength issue as with the help of a wifi repeater I can get a full signal but once or twice a day the internet drops. Some occassions, it only effects my computer. Other times it effects several people's devices in the house. I am really puzzled.

I think in the last 5 months I've had to try and restart my router to get my connection back more times that I did with my previous provider in 9 years.

4 REPLIES 4
sjd2705

Re: Dropping connection on a daily basis

I've also got this issue, I've noticed that for me at least it's always around 23:00 give or take 10 minutes, seems to consistently drop and I can't connect to the router on any device, if I run downstairs and restart the router i'm able to login to the router again and then I just re-enter the passwords, spam connect and change from the connection tab to internet tab and it reconnects.

Really puzzled by why it's dropping though, if I don't go and reset the router it doesn't come back for quite a while, unsure of how long it takes but I know it done it the other night and I left it for an hour or so as I was laying in bed while checking on my laptop and nothing.... woke up in the morning and it was working fine.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Welcome to the Forum @jezzabers

People will need more information to be able to help you. In particular, are you losing the wifi connection to the router, or losing the connection from the house to the internet? Also, of course, what router? Any information on what the lights are showing when the contact is lost would also be helpful. 

I took it that you were losing wifi. If so, there have been reports that some kit can get confused by the hub 1 (do you have a hub 1?) broadcasting wifi on 2 frequencies. There can be problems when devices decide to switch from one to the other,  and reports of even dropping the connection. It might be worth separating the two signals. @bill888 has posted how to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395....

If you are losing internet, then it would be worth running through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time and costs you nothing, but makes Plusnet aware of your issue (they won't know otherwise), they will look at it, and the issue is in the queue for action.

Do please let us know how you get on..

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Welcome to the Forum @sjd2705  Your problem may not have the same cause as that @jezzabers is reporting so it might be worth following up in a separate thread.

People will need more information to be able to help you. In particular, are you losing the wifi connection to the router, or losing the connection from the house to the internet? Also, of course, what router? Any information on what the lights are showing when the contact is lost would also be helpful. Does anything in the house switch on/off at about the time you lose connection?

Do please let us know how you get on..

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jezzabers 

I'm really sorry to hear you are having issues with your connection. 

I can confirm that the information provided by @BrightonRock is correct. 

Could you please let us know how you get on with the tests and checks & if you end up raising the fault to us. 

Thanks