cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dropping connection every 5 minutes

Beata

Dropping connection every 5 minutes

Hi I can not use my FaceTime and WhatsApp cause connection drops every 5 minutes. My kids struggle to play online as they are disconnected too. I got it since line was installed on 22nd December
Can anybody advise what to do
I have checked all wires and looks ok. I also reset my router and done quiet line test 17070
8 REPLIES 8
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Dropping connection every 5 minutes

Welcome to the forum @Beata

I'm guessing that you are using your wifi connection to access Facetime & Whatapp; is that correct? Is your router disconnecting from the internet when you lose the connection? For example, the lights show red or amber etc.? To put this question another way, does this look to you like a problem with your internet connection itself or a problem with your local wifi set-up?

Beata

Thanks for your answer
The light stay blue at all times. And yes Iโ€™m using WiFi for FaceTime
BrightonRock
Pro

It may be worthwhile having a look at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ to see if it helps.

One other thought: you are a new customer so you almost certainly have the latest hub (I have an older system). The hub broadcasts wifi on two frequencies. There have been reports here in the past that (particularly Apple) kit can get confused and keep switching from one frequency to the other, dropping the connection to the phone. The solution - and I don't know if this is relevant to your problem - is to change the ID of one of the signals.

Beata

I do have Apple phones and tablets and they just loosing connection. Should I change my router setting just to 2ghz or 5ghz or perhaps change in my device setting to 1 frequency.
Thanks for all the help
BrightonRock
Pro

My understanding is that the first step is just to change the name of one of the signals but you can leave both on. Apparently, some Apple phones get confused if they see two signals both called xxxx (just an example, yours will have a proper identification) on different frequencies but can cope with one called xxxx and a second called xxxxy (just put a character on the end of the current name) You would, of course, need to go into the hub settings to change the name; I think that the hub calls them SSIDs.

neilgl

I was having the same issue with ipads/iphones and Android phones droppoing on/off wifi. (as BrightonRock said)

In the Plusnet Hub One I went to the Advanced Settings (password from back of router) and then "5Ghz Wireless" settings

changed the "Sync with 2.4 GHz:" to No (it was Yes by default)

and changed the SSID to a different name to the 2.4Ghz SSID

click Apply

I have not had any disconnects on wifi since that.

Beata

Thanks for your help.
Problem solved ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿค—
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It's great when Community help resolves problems quickly.  Thumbs_Up

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.