cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping Internet Connection

billjsmith

Dropping Internet Connection

Hi

I am not sure if this the correct forum as I only have Fibre to Cabinet but I am sure someone will let me know if this is the incorrect forum.

I am having a lot of issues with my router randomly dropping connection to the internet. Checking the router provides the following information:

Upstream

Downstream

SNR(db)

Line Attenuation (dB)

The following information regarding SNR and Line Attenuation is taken from https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/43791/what-is-snr-margin-and-line-attenuation

Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)

It's a value measured in dB and it describes the relation between the signal strength to your house versus the noise, which affects your copper line. The noise is normally magnetic disturbance from high voltage cables etc. The higher the dB value is, the better your line will be, as the signal strength outperforms the noise.

Typical values are:

10dB and lower is bad

11db – 20dB is OK

20dB – 28dB is excellent

29dB and above is outstanding

Line attenuation

Basically it's the distance between you and the ISP and the quality of the copper to your house. It's also measured in dBs and you can check the number on your ADSL statistics page. The closer you are to the ISP, typically the better speeds you can get. It also depends on the amount of users, who connect through the same copper. In short, the lower this number is, the better:

20dB and below is outstanding

20dB – 30dB is excellent

30dB – 40dB is very good

40dB – 50db is OK

50dB and above is bad

I would like to know why my SNR and Line Attenuation figures are bad and what can be done about it; my internet connection is dropping at least 4-5 times per day and this is not acceptable.

1 REPLY 1
Cecilthe3rd
Dabbler

Re: Dropping Internet Connection

Hi @billyjsmith

Thank you for getting in contact with us.

I have tested the line today and it came back fine, however I can certainly see the service dropping a little more than what we would class as acceptable.

Could you please perform the below checks and let us know how you get on so we can progress your issue.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Many thanks

- Thomas

Tom Haigh
 Plusnet Help Team