Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping Connection

klemm
Dabbler

Dropping Connection

Hi,

I'm getting really fed up with connection dropouts, its been happening for months of not years.  I previously blamed the router (Netgear nighthawk X4S) however I have just replaced it with Draytek Vigor 2862Lac and replace my face-place with latest Mk4.  I'm still getting issue.

The only consistent thing is the time of dropout its almost always on the hour 9pm, 10pm 1am etc etc.  

Other than the dropout I get a fairly good speed of 60mbps.

Please help I've been a Plus.net customer for 16 years I really don't want to hassle of switching suppliers.  I've run plenty of line tests and been though the fault reporting see my account.  A line engineer isn't going to find this fault until he's going to sit in my house for 12 hours!

Daniel

6 REPLIES 6
ben0961
Dabbler
Fixes: 3

Re: Dropping Connection

Hi can you put up your router stats.
Also can you check your line for any noise or crackles etc using a corded phone in the Master Socket only nothing else connected then dial 17070 option 2.
If noise etc is found please report as a line fault.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, sorry to see there's been an issue. The engineer won't need to wait to see the connection drop for us to get this sorted, I don't blame you for thinking that as it's a common misconception. There's clear evidence of an issue that we can see from connection logs. (see below)

I've tested the line and whilst we're not seeing any obvious causes I'd still report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net It would be worth making sure you've followed the checks here first: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
klemm
Dabbler

I have previously raised a fault but closed it because I suspected my router router/firmware, however my new router is BT SIN 498 Approved (https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498).

From your graph I think the grouped disconnects are me troubleshooting/rebooting after a single disconnect but you can see it drops regularly at 01:00 and 23:00 hours.    Surely this pattern points to sometime at Plus.net/BT network!?  

This guy has a very similar graph, again with disconnects at 01:00 and 23:00 https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/internet-frequently-disconnects-at-random/td-p/1441417

I think my SNR values are good?  

Line 1 Information      (VDSL2 Firmware Version:  779517_A/B/C   with Vectoring support )
  Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream
  17A SHOWTIME 9,751 (Kbps) 59,997 (Kbps) 6 (dB) 9 (dB)
  Vectoring Active

I have raised a new fault to hopefully to see this through.

Thanks,

Daniel

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Thank you for confirming @klemm,

After retesting the line, no external fault has been detected and our suppliers are requesting that we book an engineers visit. I appreciate that you have replaced the faceplate but please ensure that you have connected the router to the test socket or if the MK4 doesn't have one, disconnect every device connected to any extension sockets including micro-filters.

While it's likely that the issue is in the BT network, we are unable to find an external fault upon testing. This results in a test outcome requesting we send an engineer to the property so that Openreach have access to the entirety of the network and are able to perform full end to end testing.

If the issue persists, please reply to the fault ticket here with your availability for the visit. The time-slots are weekdays between 8am - 1pm or 1pm - 6pm. Once complete, let us know on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
klemm
Dabbler

2 months on 4/5 BT Engineer visits and still no closer to a fix.

Gareth Devey CS Escalations has been the most helpful even though BT still haven't performed the 'Lift-n-shift'!!!!! Angry

Gareth, maybe you could pick this ticket up again an get this sorted?  Why isn't this still with "CS Escalations" anyway!?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @klemm,

I'm sorry to hear that you've continued to be affected by this fault. Having reviewed the account today I can see that this is now believed to be a REIN fault and has been raised as such with our suppliers. As advised by our Faults Team we're currently awaiting a further update which should be with us in the next 48 hours now. Once we've received this update we'll be in touch to discuss the fault further.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team