Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropouts - Verification

markos
Grafter

Dropouts - Verification

Hi,

I've had regular dropouts for a long time, it's not the end of the world (well, maybe for my kids mid-game etc!) but I wondered if there was indeed anything that could be done? I'm a web developer and have been working from home for over the last 20 years so I'm happy with the 60/20 connection speeds I roughly get, but the dropouts do seem to upset the rest of the house!

As a sample over the last week:

Failure    Start    Length
26/05/2021 00:10:48 0:02:45
26/05/2021 05:24:23 0:02:45
27/05/2021 09:58:34 0:00:32
27/05/2021 20:38:04 0:02:42
28/05/2021 09:54:25 0:02:38
28/05/2021 18:53:26 0:02:38
29/05/2021 02:07:11 0:01:34
31/05/2021 02:44:31 0:01:42
31/05/2021 02:50:24 0:02:43
02/06/2021 01:37:54 0:01:36
02/06/2021 06:34:10 0:02:40

This is very common - regularly twice a day, sometimes once, sometimes none and very occasionally three times! This possibly doesn't trigger any great concern from the wholesaler, but they don't have to face my kids who are mid-game or my wife losing a VOIP call to her new employer (an IT support company who keep asking if we've "spoken to our ISP about it yet?"!!).

Anything a support person could suggest or check would be great. But please don't mess with anything that will drop the speed - my FTP transfer rate is superb, and I don't want a noise/ratio thing imposed as before as it made no difference to the disconnections but dropped my speed massively!

Thank you! 😃

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Dropouts - Verification

Those durations look like resync is taking place, which implies line instability.  Do you see the colour of the router lights change during these events?

Speed and stability have an inverse relationship.  If you want better stability you might have to sacrifice some speed.  It would though be more worthwhile trying to identify the problem and eliminating it rather than messing with line settings.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Please post your router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @markos, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as for recent.
I can see when looking over your connection from this side the drops you've been seeing which are on the graph below.

Although we can see the drops occurring I can confirm when testing over the connection fully from this side we're not seeing any underlying faults that look to be behind this or even errors impacting the connection. I'd advise then first of all, should you see the drops look to persist to run through a number of internal checks your side that will help rule a few internal factors out that could be behind this.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault.
Let us know how it goes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Interesting to note that the user recorded disconnection 27/05/2021 09:58:34 is not reported in the visual radius plot.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markos
Grafter

Thankyou @Townman  and @BD 

I'll go through the test socket routine (I've done this a number of times in the past) and let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

M.

markos
Grafter

@Townman Thanks for the quietline suggestion.

I've had a moderately faster sync speed, and entirely stable connection, historically. I've also had a bunch of OpenReach engineers doing REIN and SHINE checks, I've had the two pairs swapped over at the cabinet and the house, I've had a lift and shift, etc etc. I've got the T-shirt! Until they get FTTP and lose the copper/aluminium I'm not confident that I'll ever get anywhere close to what I'd ideally like as a service, however having had SNR tweaks in the past they did nothing to improve stability. And not forgetting I'm below the estimated speeds that PN gave me when I signed up (t'was a number of years ago now it's true!).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you've got most of the tee shirts and you are using the PN Hub One, then I recommend that you look at monitoring the router stats - that should complete your wardrobe.

You can get RS using the link below.  Get the specially configured version for the BTHH5a which is what the PN Hub One is.  A detailed look at SNRM variability and errors might be informative.  Are you by any chance anywhere near the WCML railway?

markos
Grafter

Ah! This RS application looks interesting, I will give it a go. Thank you!

I had to Google WCML - No, I'm down the east Anglia side in a rural village Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

...in which case it will not be the 11 coach super pendilnos which used to take out my ADSL service a few years ago.