cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in speed

fasteasyfree
Hooked

Drop in speed

Noticed Disney Plus buffering earlier when the daughter was watching it on the telly (wired).

After checking the connection stats on the router, it appears that the downstream connection is at 46.9, whereas previously it was mid-sixties. I've essentially lost 'an ADSL worth' of bandwidth - new unit of measurement!

Was hoping some diagnostics are available to determine what's happened, and how to rectify.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Drop in speed

@fasteasyfree Doubt there will be many PN Help Team about at this time, but if you follow this:-

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection. Please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Thanks for your post @fasteasyfree

i'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any causes for this, but I can see your download speed is artificially restricted to 49mbps by the automated dynamic line management (or DLM for short) software at the cabinet (the green box in the road), so I've arranged for your line to be reset to remove this restriction.

The line reset should go through within the next 3 working days, however in the meantime I believe there may be another issue here, because at a speed of 46mbps, you shouldn't have any issues even streaming 4K. 

Is the TV plugged direct into the router using an ethernet cable or does it go through a powerline adapter or switch first?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fasteasyfree
Hooked

Thanks for that. The buffering issue only altered me to the problem, as three of us were streaming at the time, so I'm not concerned there.

I have noticed near the cabinet that a bunch of other cabinets and equipment have also been installed. Not sure if that's related at all...
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

No problem, let's see how things go when your line's reset. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fasteasyfree
Hooked

Thanks for the help.

The router is currently reporting 62.25, so I think it's safe to assume the matter is resolved.