Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in speed over the last 6 months

sweeep1963
Grafter

Drop in speed over the last 6 months

Hi, 

Not too long ago, our line sync speed was comfortably over 50mbps, however over the last few months it has slowly decreased, and I believe is currently only syncing around 43mbps, with a speed of at most 41-42 obtainable via speedtest.

I understand that our minimum guaranteed speed is 41.9, but as I said not long ago it was working fine at 53+ (I believe I requested a GEA test at the end of August which shows this).

Could this please be investigated?

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Re: Drop in speed over the last 6 months

Hi @sweeep1963

Sorry to hear about problems with your broadband. I have tested your line and there is no fault. Average sync speed in last 14 days is 48.2Mbps. Current test showed 44.9Mbps.

If you will notice further drop in speed please raise this fault online. Currently speeds are above minimum guaranteed you've mentioned. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Please accept apologies for this inconvenience.

sweeep1963
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the reply. Is there a reason why it has dropped by 10Mbps over this period, after being stable for over a year before. The extra bandwidth is really useful as we have many people using the connection at the same time. Also, I'd be curious to know whether it is worth continuing to be on the Fibre Extra package considering the speeds were over 50 before we switched a while ago.

Many thanks

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Thanks for answer.

I have checked history of your account and tests which were done on your line, back in 2018 and 2019 results were showing 47-49Mbps, I can't find any tests which were made with sync speed above 50Mbps. This may be caused due to fact that line was not tested after engineer visit if you had one. Looks like sync speed is fairly stable for last 2 years.

I can see that in last few days there was small drop in sync speed but it came with disappearance of FEC errors so it is a good thing. I will send you PM with graph shortly.

sweeep1963
Grafter

Hi, my first post on this forum was made back in August where I requested a GEA test. Here is the link: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/GEA-Test-Request/m-p/1666045#M100127 . Here you can see speeds over 50.

sweeep1963
Grafter

On the broadband section of my Plusnet account, the current line speed is now 41.6, below the guaranteed minimum of 41.9.