Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Drop in broadband sync speed again, GEA test

FIXED
vernon123
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Drop in broadband sync speed again, GEA test

My sync speed has dropped over the past month or so from 40,0000+kbps to 29,999kbps. Reported to plusnet as landline seemed noisy but they say all is fine and a home visit is required.
Is it possible for someone to do a GEA test and check if any throttling/limiting is being applied to my connection.
There have been no changes in the internal wiring to trigger this and the last time it happened my line was being throttled plus there was a line issue.
15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Drop in broadband sync speed again, GEA test

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

I can see your speeds are restricted by the dynamic line management software at the exchange to 32.4mbps. As there'd be an underlying cause for this which seems to be the noise on the line you've reported, I don't believe arranging for your line to be reset again is the right call so I think it's best we get the noise sorted out first.

Once your line is clear the engineer who fixes the fault will be able to carry out the reset there and then.

Before we arrange an engineer can you confirm that your phone handset is plugged into the test socket as explained Here which will rule out any issues which may have happened with your internal wiring.

If the noise is still there and you've tried a different handset preferably a corded one I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vernon123
Grafter

Unfortunately I don't have a corded phone to test the line over the test socket but it sounds no different with my cordless phone. Tried the broadband connection through the test socket and the only difference I could see was the snr margin was lower 7.6 compared to 8.3+.
My wall socket is an openreach master socket 5c, mk4. The snr margin is not stable and fluctuates between 8.3 and sometimes goes above 9.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @vernon123 

While ideally we'd need you to try a corded phone handset can you try plugging your router into the test socket with no other equipment connected then let us know if you're still getting the drops?

It may also be worth plugging your phone handset into the test socket by itself and let us know if there's still noise.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vernon123
Grafter

I tried the BT quiet line test and to be honest the line was pretty quiet, with the router connecting to the test socket as I said in my previous reply the only noticeable difference was the snr margin being lower.
With my line being throttled I presume my snr margin will be different to when I was getting my higher sync speed anyway.
Is the fact the deterioration occurred when the country was having heavy rain and thunderstorms possibly the issue and now the weather is dry the cause has disappeared but I am left with a throttled line?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail @vernon123 Line tests aren't showing the cause for the speed problem, so to investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer. Could you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know once you've completed it?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vernon123
Grafter

Fault has now been reported (193530483)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for reporting the fault @vernon123 

I've just added a reply to the ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=193530483 Once you've responded if you could nudge us again over here we'll get it picked back up as soon as we can and book the engineer in.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vernon123
Grafter

I've now replied with some appointment times, hopefully an engineer is available.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @vernon123,

Thank you for confirming your availability for the engineer appointment. I've booked this now and have added the details to the ticket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
vernon123
Grafter

Fix
Mark, the engineer, has now completed the fix, found a faulty section of line and switched me to a recently installed line. The upshot is I am now connecting at 62,000+kbps downstream, about 20,000kbps better than I had before the fault. A brilliant result.
Thank you all for your help πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Perfect, that's good to see and thanks for the update Thumbs_Up

No problem if you need any further help feel free to let me know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vernon123
Grafter

May still have a problem as sync speed is excellent, stable and no errors but throughput is still below 40mbps. Is it possible there is a cap still on my line?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @vernon123 

It looks like the profile on your account hadn't updated to reflect your new sync rate, I've just nudged it up now.

Could you reboot your router and retest your speeds letting us know how it goes?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
vernon123
Grafter

Thanks for that, after disconnecting and reconnecting I now have a throughput of 55+Mbps, happy days.
Once again many thanks for your help 😊 πŸ‘