Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

Yep, I know.
It's also a monthly contract on everything. No 12/18/24 months malarkey.
1ppm by the second billing with no setup charge for normal landline calls, as opposed to Plusnet 15p/16p (September) setup and 10ppm rounded up to the minute (per call as I read it).
mlmclaren
Grafter

To be quiet honest this thread is regarding a fault and has escalated to include the refusal of Fibre Extra by Plusnet...
But now this post seems to have turned into a big discussion about different broadband provider but the OP is not prepared to pay for a service like Pulse8 or Zen... if they where I would expect them to be getting line rental from Plusnet too...
They obviously wanted to save some money by choosing Plusnet and I believe Plusnet can fulfill their needs, I know currently the customer has not got a solution to there problems yet and Plusnet have said they can't have faster upload speeds, but believe me when I say "Plusnet will not refuse to add a service if the customer wants it and is willing to pay for it"
So this thread is now awaiting input from Plusnet or resolving the shortage of downstream bandwidth and looking in to possibly upgrading the line to a faster product..
djtoastie
Grafter

No pickup from staff i see, on phone now trying to cancel service
djtoastie
Grafter

well fuck it all, they wont let me cancel unless i pay £132, so looks like i am stuck with something i don't want for 18 months
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Estragon
@Jaggies
The £44 includes line rental.

So it does. I'd been searching for a FTTC only package, so maybe that isn't an option.
Still sticking with PN for FTTC ATM, as I'm paying £16.99 a month to BT for line rental and free evening and weekend calls, plus they are also now offering free BT Sport (app and web site, not on TV) as well.
sjptd
Grafter

they wont let me cancel unless i pay £132, so looks like i am stuck with something i don't want for 18 months
They should let you upgrade to 80/20 for around £5 per month. 
However, that seems a bit steep when you probably won't benefit from the download speed at all, and will still only get an upload of 8Mbps or so.
Also, apparently they have generally been unreasonably stroppy about upgrading to get better upload when the download won't go above 40, even if you do pay.
Looks as if you were unlucky to sign up at just the wrong time (so the telephone increase get out of plan,  and 40/20 at signup don't apply), but I am afraid I think we have run out of suggestions to help.
mlmclaren
Grafter

@sjptd - djtoastie tried that and they said no... though I'm sure this is a blip that Plusnet will need to get sorted.
@Plusnet - I think it would be a good time to give @djtoastie some assistance before he is forced to go down the route of mis-selling and maybe even worse considering that it seems Plusnet have delayed any resolutions in order for cooling off period too pass!!  Lips_are_sealed
I know CISAS are already pissed that  Plusnet is ignoring them, I received an email saying so this morning.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Testing the line now.
I've looked over the account and the original fault was unfortunately closed by yourself on the 18th, I can see you've created a new one since then so any updates will appear on the new fault ticket.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

The line is below the estimate of 32Mbps, so we can look into that, however that isn't going to alter the upload speeds as they are already as good as they are going to get on your product.
Downstream Speed 25.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off

The change in our product offering regarding the upload speed is being discussed elsewhere so I'm not going to go into that part in much detail, however I will say that our system won't actually allow us to move someone to Fibre Extra where the speed estimate is below 40Mbps.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
djtoastie
Grafter

I closed original fault as i thought plusnet were ignoring it purposely.
I may just save up some money and pay to leave as currently down to 23/1.6 speeds
Does it matter that i have an extension on my telephone thats about 10m? Or that my computer is getting old? (to loose 10Mbps speed or so)
Thanks for helps peoplez
@Chris
The product is the problem, even if i paid you extra it would benefit plusnet more than me as i wouldn't be able to take advantage of higher downstream data
geoffa
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The change in our product offering regarding the upload speed is being discussed elsewhere so I'm not going to go into that part in much detail, however I will say that our system won't actually allow us to move someone to Fibre Extra where the speed estimate is below 40Mbps.

Then perhaps your "system" should be changed to take into account a useful increase in upload, even if the download is below 40?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: djtoastie
I may just save up some money and pay to leave as currently down to 23/1.6 speeds
Does it matter that i have an extension on my telephone thats about 10m? Or that my computer is getting old? (to loose 10Mbps speed or so)

Don't pay Plusnet to get out if they you feel you was mislead during sales process.
As long as the modem is plugged into the master socket in your house and using the cable supplied with the modem and not a very long one then you should be fine.
The issue currently is on the line outside your control, so PLusnet will need to raise this for an engineer by the looks of it...
I'm sure Chris will be in touch about that though.
Chris
Legend

Does it matter that i have an extension on my telephone thats about 10m?

Possibly! Extension leads can attract noise and cause issues, ideally you should be plugged directly in to the fibre socket without any extension leads in use. However the faceplate should really filter out any interference from the phone line.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: djtoastie

Hey djtoastie, have you had any further contact from Plusnet regarding your shortage on download speed and getting upgraded for faster upload speeds? Smiley
Roughleyhere

Hi, 1st post on here.
I have FTTC. My download speeds seem ok at 4.4 - 5.5 Mb/sec. It's browsing that is almost useless. I have 3 wired PC's. 2 are fast with I7, SSD, Velociraptor RAiD on 1. One uses Win 8.1 ( has antivirus), another- also SSD & i7, has Linux Mint 17.1, My laptop (wired i5 - win7) also have 2 tablets, Ipad air - latest, Galaxy note 10.1 ( lollipop).  All exibit the same poor browsing, ie, some pages (ebay, amazon, argos, john lewis etc) take ages to load which ever device I use. They are not all on at once either..
Have thought about replacing the BT DsL box & Technicolor modem with a combined unit, any ideas?