Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

Quote from: djtoastie
Hi, i'm rather disappointed with service thus far on the fiber thingy
Recently upgraded to Fiber, speed has hardly increase even though engineer said my line was tested up to 33 mbps
old broadband speeds (max) 1.9 Mbps Download, 90 kb/s upload
new fibre speeds at present (max) 2.7 Mbps download, 212 kb/s upload

This post is very confusing for us to try and help you, I will try though!
From what your post above says you have recently upgraded from ADSL to Fibre with Plusnet...
I'm assuming you have chosen to go on the Fibre service and not Fibre Extra meaning the maximum speeds you will get is 40Mb/s download & 2Mb/s upload,
Currently it looks like your reporting your speeds in MegaBytes rather than Megabits, so my conversions say the following...
When you where on ADSL you got 1.9MB/s download and 90KB/s upload which converted is 15.2Mb/s download and 0.72Mb/s upload.*
Now your on Fibre you getting 2.7MB/s download and 212KB/s upload which converted is 21.6Mb/s download and 1.69Mb/s upload.*
*Please Note there's a difference between the Big B's and the small b's.
I've also noticed your posting of a speed test result from ThinkBroadband in the capacity issues thread and this seems to support my theory above,

Its easy to get confused as downloads speeds during say a download on a computer will be reported using KB/s and MB/s and not the Kb/s and Mb/s the Internet Service Providers use to sell the products.
As far as getting 33Mb/s is concerned you will need to provide some speed estimate checks from the following link ( https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html ) so we can see if your line is running correctly or not, and if you want more upload speed it then you will need to check if your line can achieve more peed and then subscribe to a service that will offer higher bandwidth allowances.
When using the BT Broadband Availability checker it is recommended you use your telephone number to get the most accurate result... do not use the postcode checker, this is useless to us.
I hope this helps Smiley
djtoastie
Grafter

yes i seem to have got the little b's and big B's mixed up, thanks for reply this is from the BT site:
sjptd
Grafter

Looks as if even if you were on an appropriate contract/ISP you wouldn't get the upload speeds your brother has, the line probably isn't capable of it.  However, you should get between 2 and 4 times what you are getting, maybe a little more.
Good luck with sorting it out, either with having arranged the contract early enough, or being within the cooling off period, or ...??? 
If they contracted the phone part of your contract at £15.95 they are probably about to raise it, and that might give you another way out.  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141664.0.html
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: djtoastie
yes i seem to have got the little b's and big B's mixed up, thanks for reply this is from the BT site

If an engineer attended to do you fibre install and activation then it looks like your getting less than what is possible on your line, However!!!
If you want to take advantage of a faster upload speed, then I HIGHLY recommend you cancel your service with Plusnet ASAP either using the cooling off period or even the upcoming price increase to phone and line rental or you could increase your package to the Fibre extra which will let you make the most of all available bandwidth.
I think you would be better of getting a connection from BT (38/9.5), that is unless you require a static IP of course.
If you do choose to stay with Plusnet though, they will need to get the issues with your line sorted as you around about 10mb short of correct bandwidth  Smiley
Howpefully someone will pick up this post on Monday, but opening a fault may take you outside your cooling off period.  Smiley
djtoastie
Grafter

I cant take out a fibre/phone package as i already have a deal saver on my phone line with some back street company lol.
I think it will be 14 days on monday, i would like to stay with plusnet but if they cant increase my upload speed then i would like to say goodbye to them.
Rather busy today, but day off tomorrow to phone plusnet.
Currently looking at BT website during ones tea break
thanks.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Oh OK... well all I can suggest is trying to get Plusnet to upgrade you to the Fibre Extra with a small discount, or even just change to it for an extra £5 a month but ask if you can downgrade again if its not much benefit.
Is it 14 days since you had activated or since your order was accepted?
bustermissy1961
Grafter

If your within the 14 days leave that's my advice to you because Plusnet's 40/2 service is disgraceful, im sure you will find another ISP that will offer a 40/10 service.
djtoastie
Grafter

Just checked email and its been 8 days since i got the email saying my changeover was now complete, the BT man installed it the next day
I've looked at other interwebs but cant find one that is fibre only for a reasonable price
bustermissy1961
Grafter

"I've looked at other interwebs but cant find one that is fibre only for a reasonable price"
There must be some that are of a reasonable price. fair enough they might be more than Plusnet's prices but as they say you get what you pay for. I wished i had of gone with Zen at the time. But i was hooked by Plusnet's very well schooled customer service people who enticed me with speeds they knew i wouldn't ever get. 40/2 is a disgraceful package what use is a 2Mbps upload speed if you can get better elsewhere.
mlmclaren
Grafter

@bustermissy1961 - As much as it pains me to say this considering my issues with Plusnet, I think if @djtoastie was to look at the cost of Zen's 40/10 service they will just contact Plusnet and upgrade to the 80/20 product and still be paying less than Zen...
Zen certainly seems like a good option on the market, specially for those who want a bit more support and a higher quality of service but for many and maybe @djtoastie I think Plusnet will do/be appropriate...
bustermissy1961
Grafter

@The Almighty Cornholio Maybe so but Zen was just an example surely there are others that offer what he/she is after at similar prices. Sky/BT etc:
Estragon
Rising Star

Both of those require you to take their line rental, and he said a few posts ago he is stuck on that.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Cheers for filling in @Estragon  Wink
djtoastie
Grafter

I am a he lol
Looked at loads so far, but my eyes hurt now and still cant find a fibre only  service, perhaps i cant see properly after typing into search engines all evening
bustermissy1961
Grafter

" i already have a deal saver on my phone line with some back street company"
Sorry i did not notice that bit is there no way you could get out of it or could you not ask another ISP if they could sort it out if you joined. probably not i suspect.