Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

djtoastie
Grafter

Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

Hi, i'm rather disappointed with service thus far on the fiber thingy
Recently upgraded to Fiber, speed has hardly increase even though engineer said my line was tested up to 33 mbps
old broadband speeds (max) 1.9 Mbps Download, 90 kb/s upload
new fibre speeds at present (max) 2.7 Mbps download, 212 kb/s upload
102 REPLIES 102
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Dreadful Speeds Oh Dear

Plusnet's automated system must have (once again) forgotten to update your profile to match the FFTC speeds.
If you ring through or get them on live chat they should be able to set it at once.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just for clarification
Are the speeds you are quoting megabits per sec or megabytes per sec as going by the upload speed you are giving of 212kbps if it is assumed to be kBps then that is equivalent to 1.7Mbps which matches a 40/2 product (normal fibre) and if that is the case the downstream speed would be 21.6Mbps
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Use the hidden link (below) to the Plusnet member centre which shows you the speed that Plusnet has set your line speed to
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
There used to be an icon in the member centre but it was removed as Plusnet said customers didn't need to know their line speed as Plusnet always got it right. Yeah!
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
djtoastie
Grafter

From the secret link:
Estimated line speed:
32Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-06-24 14:47:52
Current line speed:
24.2 Mb
from an undisclosed plusnet staff person:
Downstream Speed 25.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
my upstream is currently 0.2 Mbps
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Have you logged on to the router and disconnected and reconnected since the time given on the Plusnet line speed.
If not, then you need to do so to get that speed of 24.2Mbps.
Is that speed within the estimates for your line as shown on the BT speed estimate at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com?
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
djtoastie
Grafter

Ive double checked all my internal wiring thus disconnecting the interweb.
From the BT  site:

FTTC Range A (Clean) 42.9 32.4 8.7 6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 36.8 20.5 8.7 4.3 -- Available
I complained as my brother who is also on plusnet and recently upgraded to fibre has an upload speed of 1.9MB/s, mine just seems to have doubled from old broadband speeds
djtoastie
Grafter

oh dear i think ive just worked it out, i have been conned by plus net
i was thinking in megabytes per sec and seeing it in megabits per sec
so my upload speed is correct, but how come my brother who has same package gets 1.9 megabytes per sec and i only get 0.2 megabytes per sec  Shocked
sjptd
Grafter

You probably aren't on quite the same package.  Sadly, Plusnet recently removed their 40/20 (megabits) package and replaced it with a 40/2 (megabits per sec) package.  A 2 megabit per sec upload will give a 'real' 1.9 allowing for overheads, or 0.24megabytes per second.  (whoops, sorry, decimal point was in wrong place, now corrected)
I'm not sure what you can best do.  When did you arrange your new connection (not when did the new connection start)?  If it was while Plusnet were still advertising 40/20 then they must put you onto that as you contracted.  If not, you could upgrade to 80/20 (but at a price).  From the speeds you have quoted you probably won't get the benefit of 80 download, and probably not a full 20 upload, but it should be quite a bit better than what you are seeing now.  I'll check when the changeover time was (it is on other threads about the drop in upload speed) and post back, or someone else will.
People already on the 40/20 will stay on it (for example, your brother and I), certainly till end of contract and probably thereafter.  However, staying on it thereafter will stop us negotiating better deals.  We will have the choice of (a) staying on 40/20 but paying over the odds, (b) negotiating a deal on 80/20, (c) dropping to 40/2, or (d) moving to another supplier.
elfish
Grafter

There's 8 bits in 1 byte, you need to divide not multiply to go from bits to bytes.
1.9Mbps gives you 0.237MBps approx.
sjptd
Grafter

Just checked and the change was 17 June.
See thread https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140551.0.html
sjptd
Grafter

~elfish
There's 8 bits in 1 byte, you need to divide not multiply to go from bits to bytes.
1.9Mbps gives you 0.237MBps approx.

You are right I was wrong, but wrong about the reason.  I had typed the decimal point in the wrong place (and rounded) to 0.24.  If I'd multiplied I'd have got 15.2 Mbps
djtoastie
Grafter

Dammit all, now i feel ive been mislead and am stuck in an 18 month contract which has just began 1 week ago.  I upgraded to fiber hoping to improve my upload speeds as per brother has. Now i am stuck with this stupid capped upload which to be honest is utter crap as others get 10x the speed for same price. I would like to cancel and move elsewhere but cant, arrrrgh its all gone wrong
Thanks for replies btw, very helpful unlike the official staff
bustermissy1961
Grafter

@djtoastie
Arent you allowed upto 14 days, and in that time if your not happy you can go elsewhere.
djtoastie
Grafter

Thanks, ill have a look into that in the morning. I think its been 7 or 8 days.