cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek or other decent router

scargill
Grafter

Draytek or other decent router

I have just upgraded from ADSL with Plusnet to Fibre. No wiring changes were made  - no engineer called - but it all works - but with the PLUSONE router - which is the most crippled router I have ever seen - no VPN and precious little else.
I have a Draytek 2800 router - is this too old to use with Fibre? I also have TP-LINK W9980 router.
Would you expect either or both of these to serve as a replacement for the PLUSONE?
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Draytek or other decent router

Sinec PN have supplied you the Hub one I guess you've not got a BT modem. If that's the case then the Draytek 2800 won't work with Fibre. The TP Link W9980 should work fine since it's got a built in VDSL modem like the Hub one. MAke sure you've got the latest firmware and then I believe there should be an option on the setup to choose PlusNet VDSL. Then just enter your PlusNet username & password and you should be good to go. Also AFAIK the 9980 can support VPN in the form of IPSec tunnels.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scargill
Grafter

Thanks Mr W - I did indeed try that - the latest software for the TPLINK does indeed have a PLUSNET VDSL option - and ... nothing...
I see at the top the max speed and potential speed so it has connected - but it won't then go get the gateway etc, just says "connecting" - I can't get past this....
and yes as you say the TPLINK can setup VPNs etc.... which is what I need...
Any ideas?  I tried the plain BT VDSL, the PLUSNET VDSL, OTHER.... same thing - recognises the fibre, knows speed it can do but won't complete - I'm guessing it won't log in - I'm using my plusnet ID just exactly as I did with ADSL and as set up in the Plus One (no change)....

Quote from: MisterW
Sinec PN have supplied you the Hub one I guess you've not got a BT modem. If that's the case then the Draytek 2800 won't work with Fibre. The TP Link W9980 should work fine since it's got a built in VDSL modem like the Hub one. MAke sure you've got the latest firmware and then I believe there should be an option on the setup to choose PlusNet VDSL. Then just enter your PlusNet username & password and you should be good to go. Also AFAIK the 9980 can support VPN in the form of IPSec tunnels.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The 9980 does work with PlusNet, I don't have one myself but there are a number of people on these forums who have them working.
Check that the configuration has VLAN ID set to 101.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scargill
Grafter

Thanks for that confirmation - yes I did use the 101 - but it simply will not work. I don't know if it has anything to do with a change that Plusnet have made - until recently an engineer would change the box in the house - not any longer, no changes were made and I have exactly the same plug and filters I had with ADSL - but the high speed works..... 
I will keep trying but as it stands the 9980 won't connect. I note there are a couple of settings in the 9980 that are not covered by Plusnet's information - also in some examples I've seen **** for passwords - Plusnet don't have passwords.. 

The 9980 does work with PlusNet, I don't have one myself but there are a number of people on these forums who have them working.
Check that the configuration has VLAN ID set to 101.
scargill
Grafter

I just read your response more carefully.
Plusnet originally sent a smaller box- a Sagemcom - then 5 minutes later a return pack for that turned up and the larger unit turned up - I still have both.
With careful study the new box does indeed do port redirects - strangest way of doing it - but I cannot find any way to do IP-MAC binding and it definitely does not have the abillity to create a VPN - why they'd put something like this out I don't know..
So the plus one DOES have that Plusnet VDSL setting with ID 101... TPLINK sent me off here http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-905.html ; - and in that link is a red boxed area where it should be doing the final login and getting a DNS value back - that's the part that's not working - it just says "Connecting".

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This sounds like it's simply not authenticating.
You must have your username entered in the form of username@plusdsl.net where username is the same one you'd use to log in to the plusnet member centre, also the password is the same one as you'd use there, did you miss the password?
Quote from: scargill
Plusnet's information - also in some examples I've seen **** for passwords - Plusnet don't have passwords.. 

Plusnet do have passwords but they're not generally displayed (for security).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
scargill
Grafter

Not what they told me and not what it says on their very vague setup for other modems... I never had a password for ADSL either.

Quote from: w23
This sounds like it's simply not authenticating.
You must have your username entered in the form of username@plusdsl.net where username is the same one you'd use to log in to the plusnet member centre, also the password is the same one as you'd use there, did you miss the password?
Quote from: scargill
Plusnet's information - also in some examples I've seen **** for passwords - Plusnet don't have passwords.. 

Plusnet do have passwords but they're not generally displayed (for security).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Not what they told me and not what it says on their very vague setup for other modems... I never had a password for ADSL either.
PlsuNet have always used a username & password. However, there own supplied routers are self configuring and so automatically download the correct username/passowrd when they are initially connected. That's probably why you've never used one before. With non-PN routers you will have to configure them manually with username & password.

scargill
Grafter

PlsuNet have always used a username & password. However, there own supplied routers are self configuring and so automatically download the correct username/passowrd when they are initially connected. That's probably why you've never used one before. With non-PN routers you will have to configure them manually with username & password.

You are absolutely right - and thank you for that clarification - the TP-Link works - problem solved.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Glad you got it sorted in the end Smiley