Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 130 - Anything better?

MattJRogers
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Draytek Vigor 130 - Anything better?

Hi,

I am currently reviewing my network at home, and have just replaced my Netgear X9000 with a new Unifi network. Whilst its in the early stages i've found it much easier to control and understand how the system is behaving.

The Unifi Security Gateway has the incoming fibre from a Draytek Vigor 130 modem, which i've had for a while and it replaced the original Openreach one which always seemed to be buggy. Whilst the Draytek has never had any problems, I wondered if anyone had used a different modem for their fibre in connection? Are there better ones out there? The Draytak can only handle 100Mbs data rate and I know there are other modems out there that can handle more, however I don't want to invest money in a new modem unless I know its going to make a different and be just as reliable.

Any options/recommendations would be grateful please

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 - Anything better?

I currently run a Vigor 130 and it is still my first choice modem.

I'm waiting for the official UK version of this - DrayTek Vigor 165  also see  Vigor 165 product details 

There may also be a DrayTek Vigor 166, possibly G.fast capable, but I've not seen any details.

I have achieved comparable speeds and stability from using Billion 8800NL and 8800NL/R2 routers configured in modem only bridge mode (and wireless disabled).  I currently have these configured and ready to go, as standby modems if my Vigor 130 was ever to fail.

With default settings I got a couple of Mbps faster downloads using the Billion 'modem's,  BUT the Vigor 130 has more low level tweaks and I can get even higher speeds with the hidden telnet commands.

I'm not too bothered by the Vigor 130 having a 100Mbs interface, as the fastest my FTTC runs is 73Mbps,  but I did connect the Billions to my pfSense router using the 1Gbps interfaces (just because it was there).

I'll be interested to see whether anyone comes up with a better suggestion.

MattJRogers
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hi Nibiru,

thanks for the message. My FFTC speed is only around the same as yours, so the 100Mbs on the 130 is still ok, however me being me I like to keep with the latest versions. And you never know PlusNet might increase those speeds one day! Virgin have a 1Gb option with their cable services in my town at the moment, however they are just so unreliable its not worth the risk at the moment.

The Draytek 165 looks good and I also see that the 160 is available on Amazon. I guess its a direct replacement but again i'm not sure whether it would help with throughput from modem to router? Probably not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are 160 and 165 models about (like the one on Amazon), BUT they are usually "Annex-B" for European FTTC, whereas in the UK we need "Annex-A" versions to work on BT FTTC.

See discussions like this - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/will-vigor-165-annex-b-work-in-uk-fttc-vdsl-connection.188... 

dalbadial

Hi Matt

I use a WRT32X running OpenWRT with a Draytek Vigor 130 and I have Linksys E600 running DD-WRT with Draytek Vigor 130 as a back  up.

I have had the setup nearly two years and only had one issue and it wasn't speed related hence why I changed the firmware of both the WRT32X and Linksys E600 to WRT versions.

Personally I don't think you can get a more reliable modem at the moment on the market than the Vigor 130 in my opinion.

Dal.