cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek 2860 or 2850 and Open Reach modem

dollygray

Draytek 2860 or 2850 and Open Reach modem

I've got a Draytek 2860 which works through the VDSL port and connects ok with no problems - however in the past I've had issues with the modem connection so I'm trying to get the connection up and running with the Openreach modem connected to WAN2 which I would have thought was straight forward but I appear to be missing something as I cannot connect using this modem as follows:
Disconnect VDSL line and plug into open reach modem - DSL light is lit on Modem.
Connect Open Reach Modem from LAN 1 to WAN2 Port of Draytek. (LAN1 light WAN port light are lit on respective equipment)
Login to Draytek.
WAN --. General Set Up - Disable WAN1 (ADSL/VDSL Port)
WAN --. General Set Up - WAN2 -  Enable "Yes]", Display name "tryit", Physical mode "Ethernet", Physical Type "Auto Negotiation", VLAN Tag Insertion "Enable", Tag Value "101", Priority "0", Active Mode "Always On", Load Balance is unticked.
WAN --. Internet Access - Access Mode "PPPoE" - Details - PPPoE/PPPoa "Enabled" - Service Name "Blank", Username "xxx@plusdsl.net", Password " Correct", Index (all blank as default), Wan Connection Detection "ARP Detect", MTU "1492", PPP Authentication "PAP or CHAP", Idle Timeout "-1", Fixed IP "No" , Default MAC Address Enabled.
Reboot router (also tried power down and power up j.i.c

As far as I can see the Internet access settings are identical to WAN 1 which connects when the VDSL line is available, but when trying to connecting through WAN2 there appears to be no connection although I can see plenty of attempts from the syslog????
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
I have also tried the same from an old 2850 with the same results. The BT Guy was here today and he is adamant that the modem is working, so I think there is finger trouble with the router set up.
7 REPLIES 7
JasonMassey
Grafter

Re: Draytek 2860 or 2850 and Open Reach modem

If connecting over WAN (to the BT modem)
Access Mode should be Static or Dyanmic IP.  
Try above and let me know.   Connecting over the BT modem is very frustrating, as you have to wait quite a few minutes to see if your changes have worked.
EDIT
You will also have to populate the Static or Dynamic IP tab inside WAN 2
Router Name -  'Openreach modem' will do it
Domain Name - I kept this blank.
DHCP Client Identifier - I ticked this when running BT modem
Obtain an IP address automatically - I have this selected
Username / Password are your regular password
Default MAC address - selected
Also on left side.
Enable PING to keep alive - NOT ticked
WAN connection details, Mode ARP Detect
MTU 1492
RIP Protocol - NOT ticked
Let me know how it goes.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You don't need any of the VLAN config if you're using the modem so disable VLAN Tag insertion.
dollygray

Well I tried the suggestions by JasonMassey and also pwatson to no avail with the 2860 (not tried the 2850 yet).
In syslog I could see the following
DHCP option 61 for WAN2 is enabled, ascii string: (username and password), hex string
WAN2 DHCP ==>XID = 0x????????, Client IP = 0.0.0.0, Your IP = 0.0.0.0, next server IP =0.0.0.0, Relay agent = 0.0.0.0, option:
This is repeated every 8 seconds for about 10 minutes (when I gave up)
I should also point out that  I have a block of 4 IP's assigned and even tried a static address set up with no connection but no messages in syslog.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Hi,
Can you post screen shots of all your settings?
dollygray

SOLVED!!!!
All - thanks for your assistance.
Got it working in the end using the PPPoE settings (that I had originally)  and setting the VLAN tag insertion to disabled - AND WAITING FOR A FULL 5 minutes for it to connect! Patience has never been one of my many virtues.
After all that - I'm going to switch back to using the modem in the router and will keep the Open Reach Modem as a back up.
Thanks for the help
mv2002uk

Hi set up my vdsl line with a draytek 2860n with these settings with no problems.
see word doc  http://ul.to/241cpq70

Hope this helps  Grin Grin

thewinelake
Dabbler

Hi,
Just spotted some fellow 2850/2860 users and wondered if anyone here would know how to get the VDSL stats out of one of these beasts? the adsl command shows nothing of interest, but the vdsl command doesn't even seem to exist!
Cheers....