cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek 2830n

CoventryKid
Hooked

Draytek 2830n

This was the configuration before Plus-net.

FTTC>Openreach Modem>Draytek>TP-Link Unmanaged Switch SG1016D>Ethernet.

Tried to configer Draytek by changing , as recommended by others, that is Wan2>PPPoE>Username@plusdsl.net.

No joy, after trying reset/reset , when logging in to the Draytek, default admin/admin and myusername/password both logged in!

Emptied the Google cache, no improvement.

Tried the Hub One, red light after red light when using the TP switch.

Then FTTC>Internet cable>Hub One>Laptop - "Houston the Eagle Has Landed."

This one connects, but no Ethernet.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

CoventryKidUndecided

6 REPLIES 6
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Draytek 2830n

@CoventryKid

Your Draytek 2830n Openreach modem combination will work.

You need to set the Draytek for PPPoE.

Instructions at:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-btfttc-openreachmodem

(registration needed but seems harmless!)

A slightly redacted picture of my settings (as default) attached.

username@plusdsl.net is the username

I found that there seemed to be some benefit in turning both the devices off, turning the Openreach modem on wait a minute then turn the Draytek on. Then make a cup of tea and by the time it was done everything worked.

I am the satisfied customer....
CoventryKid
Hooked

Thanks with the update, I'll give it a try and report back.

markhawkin
Pro

The tea is a very important part of the process.

Without that the magic won't work !

CoventryKid
Hooked

Registered at Draytek.

Followed their (your) instructions implicitly.

Still no result. After resetting to default by 'by paper clip', the log on still retained old log on details.

Have down loaded firmware update from Draytek, and will try that.

On a separate issue, the d/l speed is 13 mb, when the line is rated at 60-79 mb.
As I have rebooted the router(s) many times, it may be OR or BT, have lowered the line speed, as other threads have stated, they then gradually build up the speed.

If not will get the profile re-rated.

Tea by the bucket, then some thing stronger.Cheesy

markhawkin
Pro

@CoventryKid

This is very odd.

You have a Hub One and the Draytek as well as the Openreach modem. I'm starting to suspect there is a problem with the Draytek - Openreach modem connection.

How about plugging the Hub One in to the incoming VDSL line rather than the Openreach modem.

Assuming the Hub One was sent directly to you by Plusnet then reset it to default settings plug it in and let it connect.

Once that is OK you can connect your Draytek to one of the Hub One LAN ports (not the WAN port) and that will work if the Draytek WAN connection is correctly set.

This needs the Draytek WAN port set to "Static or Dynamic IP" rather than "PPPoE" and I found the defaults (Obtain an IP address automatically) worked fine with my 2820 in that mode.

I recommend changing the Draytek to the 192.168.0.xxx DHCP range as otherise both it and the Hub One will be on the 92.168.1.xxx subnet and while that will (probably) work it will make seeing the Hub One tricky from a Draytek connected device.

You can turn the WiFi off on the Hub One and for most purposes it will then act like a modem. The problem comes if you want any inward connections (for example inward VPN) which I couldn't make work in that setup so got an Openreach modem. 

Try that, assuming it works leave it like that and see if the speed improves.

More tea perhaps....

CoventryKid
Hooked

Very odd is an understatment.

At the moment I am connected by Hub One which is working as well as can be expected, it hasnt got some of the features of the Draytek.

Will try the firmware upgrade and see what happens, if no progress raise a ticket with Draytek, if then no progress, try your solution.

Will fight the speed issue when the router problem is solved Crazy3

Onward and upward, I think somebody quoted.