Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic speed drop on reset

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Dramatic speed drop on reset

Have they at least changed the Plusnet Line Speed as reported at the link in my earlier posts? If so, then next time your router reboots then that speed will be picked up (assuming the DLM doesn't do anything silly when the line resyncs and the sync stays up in the 60/70 Mbps range)

Technically it is the act on the router logging into the radius server that retrieves and actions the Plusnet Line Speed so creating the LCP session, not the reboot per say.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@scargill I'm really sorry to see how this has been handled.

I've just tested your connection and it has indicated that there is some sort of problem with your connection, so when you're back in the UK, it may be worth revisiting this for further faults investigations, however having said this, I am shocked to see that no one has corrected the speed profile on your account.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1624
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report.
Main Fault Location CA
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 63.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 18.2 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 277.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission High

As these test results indicate a sync rate of 63.7Mbps, so I've now set your profile on our side at a more appropriate figure.

I'll also be passing on feedbackc regarding the advisor's you've spoken to up to this point as I don't think it's been handled acceptably at all.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@HarryB did you initiate a PPP Drop

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I changed the profile to 66Mbps before I ran KBD, hoping that testing the line would cause a drop.

It didn't. I'll drop the session now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
scargill
Grafter

Right - I've just remoted in - the download speed is 60 meg and the upload 15 meg.... not perfect but more as you might expect. No-one has come back to me to say they've fixed anything but clearly someone has done something as it's been stuck at that 5 meg mark for maybe a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. Let's see how long it stays up. The router has been up for 11 hours. As I had the timer taken off yesterday morning, that means that 8:30am UK time my little timeout device kicked in (ie, could not ping Google for several minutes - hence reboot the router).

A shame it took this long because most of the telephone operators can't see past a script.

Thanks again.

Pete.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@scargill wrote:

No-one has come back to me to say they've fixed anything but clearly someone has done something as it's been stuck at that 5 meg mark for maybe a couple of weeks.

@HarryB wrote:

I've just tested your connection and it has indicated that there is some sort of problem with your connection, so when you're back in the UK, it may be worth revisiting this for further faults investigations, however having said this, I am shocked to see that no one has corrected the speed profile on your account.

As these test results indicate a sync rate of 63.7Mbps, so I've now set your profile on our side at a more appropriate figure.

@scargill wrote:

not perfect but more as you might expect.

@HarryB wrote:

I've just tested your connection and it has indicated that there is some sort of problem with your connection, so when you're back in the UK, it may be worth revisiting this for further faults investigations

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1624
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report.

scargill wrote:

most of the telephone operators can't see past a script.

The only times our advisors read from a script are during sign ups, package changes and the charging statement for faults engineer bookings.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
scargill
Grafter

Thanks for that. Before I left the UK I was getting 78k and 19k download so it has dropped quiet a bit but I can't see getting that resolved before I get there in October as everything I suggest ends with "we need an engineer there". 

The connection failed again just under 2 hours ago - this of course was the original problem - and the reason I have a "watchdog" on there to ensure the router comes back up no matter what. If you saw the setup you'd know why I HIGHLY doubt it is internal...   I have a brand new box fitted by the BT engineer on his failed attempt in April to find a fault, a very short lead goes from the box to a cordless phone - and another lead to the TP-Link Router (TD-W9980) and that's it - no extra lines, no extensions etc...   

I have a Raspberry Pi running checks on Google and in the event it can't get through to Google for more than 10 minutes (from memory) - it pulls the plug on the router for several seconds and reconnects... this ensures I don't end up having to call someone out.

in the last 24 hours -  3.15pm and 11.25pm yesterday then 7.45am and 9am this morning it has had to reset the router (the Pi keeps a record). It normally isn't this bad - but this is an indication of how unreliable the connection is and BT could find nothing in April when the engineer came out. To put this in perspective - before "super high speed" we had normal broadband - and I don't remember it EVER going off other than in a power cut. 

Just checked - 54Mb down, 16Mb up - so the upload speed has improved a little.