Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downstream speed halved

FIXED
keeka
Grafter

Downstream speed halved

Hi,

I am on the 40/10 fibre product. I typically see 37/10 which matches my BT profile. The further test on that site, that reports the profile, currently fails so I cannot vefify the current profile.

I have just noticed today, my downstream speed has dropped about 50%. I do not have a specific date/time when this might have occurred, but it will have been within the past week as that's about how long since I last performed a speed test.

speedtest.btwholesale.com now typically shows:

Download Speed (Mbps): 16 to 21
Upload Speed (Mbps) : constant 10.5
Ping Latency (ms): 15 - 25

GIven the variabilty in the downstream test speed and the current windy weather, could this be a telephone cabling issue?

If the cable between telephone mast and master socket gets damaged, what's the procedure and who bears the cost?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
keeka
Grafter

Re: Downstream speed halved

I should add to my post that I have disconnected my router from the vdsl modem on a couple of occassions this week. Though I have left the modem turned on and connected to the master socket. I have done this in the past with no adverse effect but just thought I should mention it!

I just tried speedtest again and see normalish results:

Download Speed (Mbps): 35.16
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 10.91
Ping Latency (ms): 21

Though ping is still rather poor.

What's more the final test now completes and shows max achievable speed (profile?) is 38.72.

So not sure what was going on there.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi keeka,

I've just been running some diagnostics on your line and we're not seeing signs of any obvious causes for that or any other issues. 

Have you been connected over WiFi when the speeds have dropped like that? If so it would be helpful if you'd be able to test speeds over an ethernet connection instead to see how that compares. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
keeka
Grafter

Hi Adam

Thank you for checking my line.

Speeds do appear to have returned to normal. Speed tests were performeed over wired connection but my broadband speed is not so great that it's hampered by wifi either 😉

The degraded speeds occurred during the stormy weather which is why I suspected local telephone cabling.

Whilst I was running tests, and seeing disappointing resukts, I noticed third party tests produced higher figures than the bt wholesale speed test and the latter would not complete the final stage of the test, where it confirms the profile. All is working ok at the noment.

I would like to know, though, who is responsible for the line between the telegraph pole and the master socket?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Hi keeka, that's good to hear. Do shout up if it becomes an issue again. 

Openreach are responsible for the cabling outside of your home towards the master socket, that's regarded as a demarcation point, i.e anything after that within the home is deemed as the customer's responsibility. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team