cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download to upload ratio

kdodds

Download to upload ratio

I moved over to PlusNet last week (moving from Talktalk). One thing I'm concerned about (and this was also true with Talktalk) is that my upload speed is not great. I am currently getting in the region of 37mb down but only 3.6mb up. I expected this to be in the region of 7-9mb as this is what PlusNet estimated at the time of order. Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Download to upload ratio

So what did you sign up for?  I thought Plusnets offering was 40/2 I dont think they do 40/10 any more or are you on  higher speeds than 40 but just not getting them?
Haybasha
Rising Star

That looks suspiciously like a 40/20 connection to me.
As Plusnet don't supply this now (unless you have had it in the past and negotiated to keep it) I'd say it's an 80/20 connection.
As it happens my ratio of download to upload is very similar, as G.INP went live on the ECI cab I'm connected too today at 5am my downstream is up from around 42-45Mbps to roughly 48Mbps but my upload is only around 6Mbps as there is no G.INP on the upstream on my 80/20 connection.
As it happens my upstream falls below the FTTC A Lo level of 7.6Mbps and it would seem PlusNet can't or won't do anything about it. My downstream is sitting at the top of the FTTC A range too!
kdodds

I've signed up for Fibre extra (so 80/20) package as I make use of the extra upload (I load large photos files to my website).
elfish
Grafter

If you are on the 80/20 your IP profile should be higher than that. If you cannot sync at a higher speed than 40 then I am amazed that PN have allowed you to go for the extra package.
If those speeds are as good as it gets for you, then I would recommend going to the none extra package which will cost you less and provide you roughly the same speeds.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@haybasha good to see you had some increase once G.INP was enabled i'm on a ECI cab myself waiting for when my line gets enabled i'm interested to see which way it's going to go because i have seen a mixed bag some get increases but some get decreases up to 2Mb in some cases i have already lost near to 20Mb due to crosstalk and a crappy ali line i cant afford to loose more.
As to your upload if it's below estimate they can send a engineer i was below estimate for my upload last October it had gone from 10Mb down to 4Mb my estimate was 6Mb  and I got a engineer out to try and fix it, he did not he told me my line would never go above 4Mb again, yet three months later sync drops and it went up to 8Mb which is what i'm still at now  Roll_eyes  any way don't take no from plusnet if your under estimate either on download or upload your entitled to a Engineer visit.  
if you haven't tried already get one of the CRT to put the request in i had to do that as Support wouldn't do anything,  sometimes going over their head is needed.
kdodds

Thanks guys for the responses. I've attached the line speed PS advised me of when I ordered which shows my estimated line is up to 46mb. Sorry for my ignorance @Terranova667 what is "CRT"
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRT = Customer Relations Team.
kdodds

Thanks @Nibiru
Haybasha
Rising Star

As a first port of call I'd call (or use chat) Plusnet and ask if your profile is stuck, your download looks very low.
I had to do that today as my download was stuck at 41Mbps with a connection speed of 50Mbps. As soon as it was sorted I was up at 48Mbps.
Starmans
Grafter

What does BT Wholesale Checker state with regards to phone line capabilities?
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Sorry, but a few basic questions, how are you testing, wired or wifi?
What router do you have?
Can you post the details from the helpdesk tab on your router, minus the personal date - email/serial number/SSID.
Cheers
kdodds

I'm testing over a wired connection through a TP-LINK 1750 AC router
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I'd recommend raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net
It looks like your sync speeds are both (Down and Up) below the estimates for your line Undecided
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
kdodds

Thanks @HarryB. Fault has been logged.