cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download throttle on Netflix

FIXED
Weetos1977

Download throttle on Netflix

Do Plusnet throttle or traffic manage the data I recieve from Netflix? I can't stream any better than 480 in stereo when I should be getting 1080 in 5.1(according to Netflix)

Spèed tested at 38 Mbps with no load and 30 when streaming Netflix.
8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Download throttle on Netflix

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

It won't be Plusnet throttling things. How are you connecting to the router? If it's wireless or powerline devices then that could be the problem. If you're not doing it already you need to to use an Ethernet cable to make sure that this is not the problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

doesn't sound like a connection issue if it's getting 30Mbps whilst streaming that's more than enough for HD it only needs 5Mbps, I can stream 4K and i get around 35-38Mbps whilst streaming it only needs 25Mbps.

The OP does have the standard Plan with the video quality settings set to high or auto ? Basic plan is SD only, they are are not trying to watch HD content on the basic plan are they if so that would be the reason for only the SD (480) option. 

Weetos1977

I do have the HD package for Netflix. ..there is no option on either my PS4 or my smart TV for high or auto.

Will put a wired connection and not using the power network adapters tonight, I get the same result when using WiFi too so don't think their causing the issue.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I can definitely stream 1080 with Netflix, PN don't throttle.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Fix

wrote:
I do have the HD package for Netflix. ..there is no option on either my PS4 or my smart TV for high or auto.

Its an option within your account, rather than a setting within the apps

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/11559

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

wrote:
Will put a wired connection and not using the power network adapters tonight, I get the same result when using WiFi too so don't think their causing the issue.

I have had exactly the same experience with both WiFi and Powerline units causing buffering. I installed a CAT5e cable with wall sockets to make a professional job of it. Since then I have had no buffering whatsoever.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Weetos1977

Ahhhhhh didn't know that and Netflix didn't even mention it when I've discussed the issue with them...it was on low so hopefully that will sort it...at work at the moment so unable to check, will report back later.

Thanks!!!