Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed problems on fibre extra

bushkin
Dabbler

Download speed problems on fibre extra

Hi,
I have the fibre extra broadband installed at my property, had it installed a few months back and was getting a smooth 78-ish mbps download speed and an 19 upload with ethernet connection.
lately this has been getting slower and slower. Late 40's at best, I've just spoke to plusnet who have told me that they capped me off at 50 mbps d/l for no reason?!
And then they said i would only be getting about 50 at the most, a bit confused to be honest, the kit they supplied me with is an ECI model if that helps?
I would appreciate any help, thanks
17 REPLIES 17
jmcgough
Grafter

Re: Download speed problems on fibre extra

Do you live in the Manchester or Greater Manchester area?
If so then there is a known fault with some equipment or rather system, it is being investigated by Plusnet and its partners (AAISP is affected as well apparently)
That said, do you have what you were quoted with originally when you signed up to Fibre Extra?  It seems quite a contrast if the connection has lost a near 40% of reduction in sync/speed.  If its below what you were quoted then Plusnet need to refer it on to Openreach to have it investigated.
Find out what your original speed estimate was and go from there.
bushkin
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, i live in Surrey mate. How would i find what i was originally quoted with?
dick:quote
bushkin
Dabbler

In the 'member centre' it states my current line speed at 78mbps if that helps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Give me a couple of minutes, just testing the line now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

If you put your phone number in here you can see the estimates for your line. http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
This is what your line is currently connected at through to the exchange. The speed isn't governed by us, it's controlled by the equipment at the exchange, so if you are now having speeds lower than your estimate you can report this for us to look into at https://faults.plus.net

Downstream Speed 50.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-67M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bushkin
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, 
According to that checker i should be getting 73 mbps downstream!
I've been capped at 50 for some reason?!
Chris
Legend

You haven't been 'capped', that's the speed your line is currently connected through to the exchange at. Note that there is a speed range, so if you're within the bottom end of the range it's still within the estimates.
However as I've mentioned if you open a fault with us we should be able to get this looked at.
bushkin
Dabbler

I'm logging the problem now, the person on the phone said i'd been capped.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I can see the fault has gone through to our faults team.
We'll get that looked into as soon as possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bushkin
Dabbler

thanks for the update, is there any reason why I would of been 'capped' down to a lower speed? as that's what the person told me over the phone. Shouldn't really be paying for the top package when i'm capped down. They couldn't give me an answer as to why i was either.
cheers
Chris
Legend

You haven't been capped. The person you spoke to did not explain it well.
The exchange equipment dictates your speed and will alter this based on line characteristics to try and keep stability.,
bushkin
Dabbler

Fair enough, don't know why she told me she lifted the cap for me?! Told me it was set at 50 mbps. Still wont go above 48 though.
bushkin
Dabbler

Hi Chris, do you have any updates on what the problem could be yet?
cheers
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The fault is still with our Faults team at the moment.
We should know more in the next 24 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team