cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed not quite right?

Furrball
Hooked

Download speed not quite right?

When the service was initially provisioned there was a fault on the line that was capping the download to around 34Mb.

Since then the fault has been fixed and when the engineer was onsite he commented that on his test he was getting a full 80/20 connection.

Now the upload is fine, but given the line length and what Plusnet are reporting the download speed seems a little low.

GEA

Test Outcome Pass Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000 Description GEA service test completed and no fault found . Main Fault Location OK Sync Status In Sync Downstream Speed 68.4 Mbps Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps Appointment Required N Fault Report Advised N NTE Power Status PowerOn Voice Line Test Result Pass Bridge Tap Not Detected Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected Cross Talk Not Detected Estimated Line Length In Metres 281.8 Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable

From Plusnet page

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 66Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-10-19 14:52:50Current line speed:78 Mb

From BTWholesale

Download speed
achieved during the test was - 64.09 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
is 40 Mbps-66.23 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 66.23 Mbps

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Download speed not quite right?

Hey Furrball, 

I'm just taking a look at this now and will get back to you shortly. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As the fault we recently resolved was due to disconnections this means speeds were lowered deliberately by our supplier's DLM systems (dynamic line management) this does work in reverse when a connection has re-stabilised but can take a couple of weeks. Personally I would give it another week to give this a chance and failing that we would then need to arrange an engineer visit so they can initiate an SNR reset at the cabinet. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Furrball
Hooked

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Shall see what it is like in a few weeks!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries Furbal! Smiley

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Furrball
Hooked

Hi there, 

No change on the download speed so maybe time for an engineer kick?

Furrball
Hooked

How do I escalate this to get an engineer visit?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi Furrball.

I'd report the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net but from testing your line I'm seeing your router in sync at 69mbps and there's no banding applied.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 69.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed

20.0 Mbps

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

As your sync speed falls within your speed estimates it's likely that our suppliers wouldn't accept this as a fault.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Furrball
Hooked

Hi, 

So looks like the line has sorted itself out and now connecting at full speed.  However profile seems to be 'stuck' as actual speeds still seem to remain the same

2018-01-26 15_44_53-content.png

2018-01-26 15_46_37-BTW Performance Test.png2018-01-26 15_46_10-Member Centre _ Member Centre - Plusnet.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Cheers for coming back to us.

I've bumped up the speed profile on your account now. If you can do a single disconnect/reconnect of the PPP session you should see an increase in your throughput.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet