cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed more than halved

0rangecake
Dabbler

Download speed more than halved

Had a stable ~50 ever since the old 40/20 contract got changed to 50/10. All of a sudden my downstream vanished and I'm on ADSL2+ equivalent download.

I've restarted both the router and modem, plugged the modem straight into the test socket...etc. To no avail. There are no service outage warnings on either here or BT site. Please help.

Link to attachment for easier viewing

Tags (4)
12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Download speed more than halved

Sorry to hear this, I'm struggling to find your account from the usual means. Mind PMing me your username? Could you also attach the file you've uploaded to imgur directly to your post? We can't open imgur as it's blocked internally.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
0rangecake
Dabbler

Sent the account name in a pm.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool cheers I'll pick that up shortly

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail and private message, our tests are showing your router in sync at a stable rate of 55mbps with no congestion seen at the exchange. Looks like your speed tests were done over WIFi, are you able to try a wired connection to compare?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

I've noticed lately that when I've conducted a speetest via speedtest.net that it shows as a WiFi connection . This must be a glitch at speed test.net. when I did my own speed tests with WiFi turned off and connected via ethernet it still appeared as WiFi on test results
0rangecake
Dabbler

All my tests were/are on a wired connection, it's just speedtest being daft and showing a wifi logo for some reason.

Strangely enough, the download speed is now back to its former glory at 7am. Maybe the local DSLAM is not coping or doesn't have enough bandwidth at peak?

plusnet_downstream_mysteriously_reappears_after_peak_hours_hmm.png

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @0rangecake, thanks for confirming.

I'm glad to see the speed is back to expected. I have had a check and there doesn't seem to be any congestion issues on your VLAN that could impact your throughput at peak times, however, please monitor and get back to us if this issue occurs again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

0rangecake
Dabbler

@LaurenB

It's back, at exactly the same time as yesterday

plusnet_peak_time_congestion.png

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@0rangecake,

Thanks for letting us know. I've raised a fault on your service. It's likely you'll need an engineer visit I'm afraid but we'll be in touch once the fault has been returned by Wholesale. 

0rangecake
Dabbler

As per the ticket reply (which was very fast, I might add), my line stats are basically perfect. Continuous testing throughout the day basically shows peak-time download speed being annihilated to less than 1/4 of what it normally is. I don't even know if an engineer visit will do anything other than incur a potential £65 fee. Perhaps BT underestimated the demand for fibre in my geriatric town and didn't provision enough bandwidth for full-capacity DSLAMs. Who knows.

thonking.png

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, something definitely isn't right if you keep seeing fluctuations in speeds like that so I'd say it would be a good idea to go ahead with an engineer visit if that continues to happen.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team