Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed dropped by over a third

Rez99
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Download speed dropped by over a third

Recently I have noticed my download speed has dropped from around 32Mb/s to around 20Mb/s. I have restarted all my kit, tried a different router and changed the microfilter - still around 20Mb/s.

This is what I get from PlusNet online test today:

Estimated line speed:27Mb (This may vary between 20Mb and 27.4Mb) - Checked on 2016-07-13 10:38:19
Current line speed:21 Mb

This is what I get from BT Wholesale tests:

BT_Test1.JPG

BT_TAP3_Test.JPG

Two potential reasons for this are:

1) We have had several power cuts lately - would an SNR reset help?

2) I notice that on the 5th Sept there is a closed question on my support page stating that my BT circuit has changed (Question ID 133105192) - not sure exactly when this issue started so may/may not be relevant

"Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
BT Reference Number changed from BBEU22816437 to BBEU23351581. BT Circuit Number changed from BBEU22816437 to BBEU23351581"

For info, I've just been round to neighbour's house (same Building, DP and exchange) and they are getting 32Mb/s download which is what I was getting before.

It took 3 months for PlusNet to get my service up and running and I am now experiencing issues 2 months later - please can someone look into this?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Download speed dropped by over a third

@Rez99

As it is the weekend, the staff may not be around.

If your current speed at BTW is less than the estimated VDSL Range A speeds at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome? then log a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults (although you may wish to check for a voice line fault first as these have a faster response time, see below for links)

As for the closed question, that means that you have been moved onto Plusnet's new network. It may be the cause of your issues but not necessarily.

More information and links to fault finding :-

First thing is to check for a phone fault (if Plusnet provide the phone start here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ ) If you do have a phone voice fault, report it as such and do not mention any broadband issues. And then when that is fixed, see if the broadband is better.

Then if still not solved (or no phone fault is in evidence) start with the FTTC guides at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/m-p/1156188#U1156188

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Rez99
Dabbler

Hi SpendLessTime,

thanks for your post. I have tried https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults but the site is down hence why I posted my issue on the forums. I spent so much of my time on the phone to PlusNet in a traumatic 3 months trying to get my phone line installed I am not going through that again.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There was an announcement yesterday that the faults troubleshooter would be down for maintenance until 5pm today.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

That doesn't look like a line fault to me.

The IP profile on the BTw performance test is showing as 38.67 Mbps

By reverse engineering the IP profile it means the line is syncing at ~ 39995 kbps.
It therefore looks like the line is a fully functional 40/2.

>> Current line speed:21 Mb

That's the bit which is wrong and why the OP is only getting 20Mbps. The Plusnet profile needs updating to be in line with the IP profile.

I wouldn't bother raising a line fault, either phone them up or use the online chat.
Tell them the following:-
1) You appear to be syncing at 40/2
2) Your IP profile on the BTw performance test is 38.67
3) Your Plusnet profile is 21Mbps which is restricting your throughput speed to 20Mbps.
4) You've done a TAP3 test (which totally bypasses Plusnet systems) that shows 34Mbps throughput.
5) Can they please update the Plusnet profile.

It shouldnt take them long to do this.   You will then need to re-establish a new PPP session* to pick up the new profile.
If it wasnt the w/e one of the PN reps would have been able to do this for you.

---
*If you dont know what that is, or how to do it.. then it may be easiest to reboot the router.    I could go into more detail, but this was supposed to be a flying visit and I just happened to spot your post.

----------------------------------
ETA.
Just noticed that the 2nd screengrab was a TAP3 test..  it wasn't obvious and at first I thought it was an old test for comparison to show how much speed youve lost.   That TAP3 proves without doubt that if it wasnt for the Plusnet  profile being wrong, your speeds would be spot on.   Your line is actually better than estimated.  Ive changed step 4 above to include TAP3 results.

Rez99
Dabbler

Hi Kitz,

thanks for the detailed response. Currently there is no online chat and phone support queue is over an hour. Think I'll wait until tomorrow to try and get in touch.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

YW. Hope you get it sorted.  It should only take them 2 mins to fix as long as they know what to do.
If you go through the fault tracker, there will be all the try this, try that stuff.   If you put your username in this thread one of the CSreps may spot it on Monday and be able to sort it from here.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd guess that when they moved you over to the new network they've given you the wrong profile (21Mb is what they use for adsl2+).  It's not the first time I've seen an incorrect profile dished out recently 😕

Rez99
Dabbler

In the hope that PlusNet support might spot this today my username is [removed]

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Username removed from a public forum to a private area.

Rez99
Dabbler

69th in the queue on Live Chat or an hour wait on phone! My experience with PN gets worse and worse.