cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed dropped by over 10MB - Maximum achievable download speed keeps decreasing

Ametha1
Dabbler

Download speed dropped by over 10MB - Maximum achievable download speed keeps decreasing

I've noticed a consistent drop in my internet download speed recently. Before about a month ago, I was getting around 30MB download. About a week ago this dropped to 28, and then 24. Now after checking several times this evening, my speed is down to 20MB.

Though this is not a huge issue yet, as I'm still able to use the internet and do what I have to do. It is worrying. I used the bt speed checker, then ran further diagnostics to see if there was a problem.

I was astonished to see my maximum achievable download speed is now set to 21.98MB! 

My upload speed has stayed relatively constant at around 6 to 7MB.

So, why is this happening with my download speed? The only recent changes have been a new router and renewing my contract. Would the new router, which was the same as my previous router, cause that much of a change? 

As I said, it's not causing a huge issue yet. I would like to know the reasons why my download speed has dropped 10MB over the last month.  I'm worried my maximum download speed will continue decreasing! 

15 REPLIES 15
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Download speed dropped by over 10MB - Maximum achievable download speed keeps decreasing

Hi @Ametha1,

I'm sorry that your speed has dropped over the last month and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. It's odd that the further diagnostics showed that your maximum achievable speed is 21.98mbps - I can confirm that this isn't the case.

I've tested your line and it's currently syncing at 23.8mbps, which is below the estimates of 32.4 - 40mbps. However, the test hasn't picked up the cause of the poor speed so we will need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 23.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 807.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name
  0.128M-30M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the guide here for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Ametha1
Dabbler

Re: Download speed dropped by over 10MB - Maximum achievable download speed keeps decreasing

Hi Emily,

We tried the steps you recommended. After plugging our router directly to the test socket (with the ADSL filter) there was no change in my internet speed. It remains at 20,5MB 

We ran several diagnostic tests too, and the download speed did not change. However, we did notice on one test the upload speed jumped to 11, and then went back down to normal 6.5 to 7ish on following speed tests. I assume that was just a statistical anomaly? 

I've also changed the ADSL filter, and saw no change. 

My support worker also visited earlier, and while she was here, we also ran a speedtest using her phone connected to the wifi. And again, the download speeds were the same on her phone. So I guess that rules out a hardware fault with my computer? 

The computer and router are always connected to the 'master socket' as that's the only BT socket in the property. No other devices are connected to the router, other than the test we tried with my support worker. Our landline phone is also disconnected most of the time - I only use the line for internet.  The landline phone is for emergency only due to speech difficulties. 

I did notice on the instructions - How to connect to the test socket - there was an additional note about the broadband taking 3 days to stabilize. Should I reconnect my router to the test socket and leave it for three days and see how it is then? 

What other tests can we try? 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Ametha1,

Thank you for running through the troubleshooting steps and for testing the speed from a different device, which has ruled out this fault being specific to your computer.

As long as you've been through the troubleshooting steps from the above links, there isn't anything else that we'd recommend for this issue. Please keep the router connected to the test socket for now as, depending on the cause of the problem, the speed may improve over the next few days. Please let us know if your speed doesn't improve once the router has been connected to the test socket for three days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Ametha1
Dabbler

HI @EmilyD 

My internet download speed has continued to decrease. I did another speedtest and the results were 18.6 Download and 6.7 Upload. It seems the download speed is decreasing by about 1-1.5Mbps each day. The maximum achievable speed is also decreasing along side. (The maximum achievable speed now reads 19Mb!)

I will keep the router connected to the test socket for the next three days to see if there's an improvement as you suggest. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Ametha1,

I'm sorry to hear that your speed is still decreasing. Hopefully you may see an improvement over the next few days but please let us know if the speed is still poor after you've been connected to the test socket for the three days.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Ametha1
Dabbler

Hi @EmilyD 

Well, this is weird. I just ran another speedtest, and the download speed had decreased again to 18.02. The upload speed though is really unusual. It's reading as 0.00 !

I just tried uploading a text file to my email, and emailing it, and the file uploaded to the email fine. So is there a fault with the bt speedchecker in reporting upload speeds? Because if I really did have 0.00 upload, Wouldn't it mean I could not upload anything at all. Or even send this message? 

Clicking on Further Diagnostics just gives a white screen on the browser.  

I've also ordered a new filter-to-router cable from amazon just in case the current cable is the cause. 

Obviously it cannot be my computer if my support worker had the same download speeds when we tested my internet using her phone yesterday. Or am I wrong? 

EDIT: Just tried a speedtest with speedtest.net, and got the same 18.5 download, and 7.2 upload. So I think there's currently an issue with the btwholesale test in reporting upload speeds. Unless it's just me. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Ametha1,

It's odd that your upload speed was showing as 0mbps. As you've mentioned, you wouldn't have been able to post this if the upload speed was 0mbps so it sounds like there was a problem with this test.

I can confirm that your computer won't be the cause of this problem as we can see the poor download speed when testing your line from here and your support worker got a similar result when they ran a speed test from their smartphone.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Ametha1
Dabbler

Hi @EmilyD 

We left our router plugged into the test socket for the last three days and there's been no improvement unfortunately. 

My download speed is currently around 18.5MBps. Which is about half what it should be.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Ametha1,

I am sorry to hear that the issue is still on going and for any inconvenience caused. At this point we will need you ta raise a fault here and update the thread when you have completed so that we can get this picked up for you.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Ametha1
Dabbler

Hi @SammyM  @EmilyD 

I have completed the instructions to raise a fault. So I assume that's done now.

Turns out I have no dial tone on my phone. I rarely use the landline or have it plugged in, so I did not notice before now until I tried a quiet line test by calling 17070. I only checked for noise last week. 

However, when I press the green 'call' button - the one with the green telephone icon on the keypad - there's a repeated beep ... beep ,, beep, with each beep lasting about a second. 

Does this mean the fault is with the phone, and that's effecting my download speed? 

If an engineer is required to visit my house, it can only be in the afternoon and I have to a arrange a support worker to be with me to deal with them. And I prefer contact by email rather than telephone. 

Ametha1
Dabbler

@SammyM @EmilyD 

I just tried a phoneline test using the phone troubleshooter, and got an 'Oops something seems to have gone wrong' message. 

I also tried testing the phone by plugging it directly into the master socket, just to rule out a filter issue, and there was still no dial tone. 

"It looks like something has gone wrong. Our award-winning support team are here to help."

I assume that means there's something wrong with the phoneline, rather than the troubleshooter itself? 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @Ametha1.

We're still not detecting a phone line fault - But on checking the connection we can see that you are now 10Mbps below your Minimum Guaranteed Speed and so have raised the issue with our suppliers for their investigation.

We expect it'll progress to an engineers visit and so have sent you this ticket, which we do need a response to.

Let us know here once you've responded and we'll progress the issue ASAP.

Ametha1
Dabbler

@EmilyD @SammyM @OskarPapa 

I have responded to the ticket. My preferred time for an engineer visit is Thursday afternoon. 

Ametha1
Dabbler

Out if curiosity: If you're not detecting any fault on my phone line, then why was your phone diagnostics test saying. 'Oops something seems to be wrong"?

There's no dial tone on the phone, and pressing the green button gives a beeping noise, similar to an 'engaged' tone. 

I rarely have the landline plugged in because I use the connection purely for internet. The internet is my preferred method of contact, and vital for me to keep in contact with my support groups. I do not use the phone due to speech difficulties.

Is there any way for the engineer to give a specific time to visit? A choice between AM and PM means a long wait for them in either case, and I have to arrange a support worker to be here with me when they do visit. They obviously cannot stay the entire afternoon, and I'd prefer not to be anxiously waiting if they arrive on the later side.  

Amy