Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed below threshold

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Download speed below threshold

Having noticed that things appeared to be a bit sluggish lately, I fired up the ethernet-connected laptop and ran a speedtest. The test reported a download speed of 30Mbps whereas the minimum is specified to be 40Mbps. I'm on the unlimited fibre extra package.

What should I do to recover my speeds, or will a Plusnet staff member pick up the problem from this forum?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
9 REPLIES 9
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Download speed below threshold

Hey @maranello,

I'm really sorry to hear the connection is under performing. I've had a look into your account this evening and upon testing the line, we're seeing that there's currently a downstream sync speed of 63.7Mbps being achieved. When you'd carried out the speed test, was the laptop connected directly to the router via Ethernet cable, or was it going through a powerline adapter? Additionally, had there been any downloads on the network at the same time/had anybody else been using the service at the time you carried out the speed test?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro

@TheMightyAJ 

Thanks for looking into my problem. The speed test was performed from a laptop directly connected to the router using Ethernet cable, not via powerline adaptors. I'll try another test hopefully at a time when the multitude of wireless devices in my household are not being actively used. 

Is there a direct correlation between sync speed and throughput, in other words, even though the router is in sync at a high speed, could anything within the router limit data transfer rates?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @maranello

Thanks a lot for getting back to us. There can be faults with routers sometimes, however these cannot be specifically diagnosed on our end. It gets a bit tricky when it comes to throughput speed, as this can be influenced by a range of different things such as the length and condition of your Ethernet cable, the network adapters on your laptop, what other devices are using the internet for t any given moment etc.

This is why a throughput speed is not guaranteed on our end, because we cannot directly influence it, and can only offer suggestions on how to improve it.

For me, the best way to check our your sync speed would be to access the helpdesk page on your Plusnet Hub One, and find Data Rate.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
maranello
Pro

@adam945 

Unfortunately, I have separate BT modem and tg512n router, so cannot access connection data. Given the age of the router, and frequent loss of Wi-Fi connections, is it likely/ possible that the router may be playing up? 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Given the contractual situation on the account at the moment, we wouldn't send out a new router free of charge, though if you'd like to re-contract at some point, give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 to discuss this with them, and they should be able to process a new one for you. Have you tried using your Plusnet Hub One as a modem/router to see how you get on with that?

Adam
maranello
Pro

@adam945 

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a Hub One, and do not want one. I have a BT Smart Hub which I haven't got around to configuring.

A speed test today reported a sync speed of 54.9Mbps, I'll keep monitoring for any changes.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @maranello

My apologies, I totally miss-read the last part of your message there, it's been a long and busy day, logging off soon!

On our side it's showing a Plusnet Hub One that was sent out around three years ago.

Anyway, do you have another third party router that you could troubleshoot with?

Adam
maranello
Pro

@adam945 

The Hub One that was sent to me was returned - it was only sent to me to help eliminate my existing router as a potential source of connection problems I was experiencing at that time. 

As I mentioned, I have a BT Smart Hub i could try, but for the time being I'm just monitoring the TG582n.

Thanks for taking an interest.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @maranello

Ah thanks a lot for clarifying that. Cool, let us know how you get on with troubleshooting your connection then and feel free to reach out if you need any further support.

Adam