cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download dropped to 20MB after "upgrade" from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

FIXED
mdt
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Download dropped to 20MB after "upgrade" from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

My upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra commenced yesterday and the upload speed has increased from 10Mb to 16.8Mb but the download speed has reduced from about 46Mb to 20Mb, almost as though there is a hard limit of 20Mb when doing a line test.

I was on 40/10 before and getting pretty well 46/9 performance.

My router stats currently show:

Current Data Rate:                               60.066 Mb/s / 17.939 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 60.356 Mb/s / 18.143 Mb/s

My Plusnet portal says:

Your broadband service

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 56 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 50.9Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

Do I just have to wait to see if the line will increase its download speed, or is there another reason for the limit that seems to have been applied?

Looks like this problem has been seen before and already answered by MisterW: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Upgraded-from-Unlimited-Fibre-to-Unlimited-Fibre-Extra...

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: Download dropped to 20MB after "upgrade" from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

@mdt If you have a Static IP ? then, yes you have the same problem.

This Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps will be limiting the download speed.

You can either wait for one of the PN Help team to spot this, raise a speed fault at https://faults.plus.net or try calling the CSC.

If you do either of the latter then make sure to stress that your Current Line Speed is incorrect at 21Mb and you ARE on a static IP so it WILL be affecting the speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mdt
Hooked

Re: Download dropped to 20MB after "upgrade" from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

Fix

Thanks MisterW - The problem has now been fixed (I telephoned the CSC in the end). Apparently it was a "minor account problem" - whatever that means.

But - I am not on fixed IP, though my account started with Plusnet about 18 years ago with ADSL, then I moved house, keeping the same account with ADSL, then I upgraded to VDSL about 5 years ago.

I'd be interested in an explanation if you have one.

Thank you for your useful post - it certainly helped get to the bottom of the problem very quickly!

Martin

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@mdt Apparently it was a "minor account problem" - whatever that means.

If it was the same as the other thread, then the Account profile had defaulted to an ADSL one during the upgrade.

But - I am not on fixed IP, though my account started with Plusnet about 18 years ago with ADSL, Did you ever have a dial-up account ? If so and you wished to use it from more than one place, then the account would have been given a static IP. That would have remained through the various upgrades (well mine did!)

AFAIK Current Line Speed only affects accounts with static IP's. What does your account now say for Current Line Speed ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mdt
Hooked

Current line speed is now 60Mbps. I did ask the CSC if I was on fixed IP and she looked into it and said "no". I didn;t think I did have fixed IP, but thought I would ask anyway as I've had the Plusnet service for so long I might have forgotten! - I used to be with Metronet before it was bought by Plusnet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

problem is that some old accounts(mine included) won't tell you whether you're on a static IP or not. When you select the 'configure static IP' it says 'this isnt available on the account!

If your IP is is the 80.229.0.0/16 then it's definitely static BUT I think there is at least one other range that's static.

Just thinking , if your IP is static then an nslookup on the IP should return either ipaddress.plus.com or accountname.plus.com , if its not static then it will return something like ipaddress.dyn.plus.net

mdt
Hooked

Although I never asked for static IP, you are correct - My 'configure static IP' does indeed say 'this isnt available on the account!

I am in a different IP range than the one you quoted (80.229.0.0/16) - Mine is 31.125.0.0/16 and my IP does indeed return "accountname.plus.com"

Problem solved!

Thank you.

RobDaGoth
Hooked

Aaaaaargh!

I've just identified the same problem for me ...

I'm in a dialup ADSL pool IP address range - they're capping me like I'm on Copper !!!!

Thanks for the info...

inetnum:        84.92.64.0 - 84.92.127.255
netname:        PLUSNET-DIAL-ADSL
descr:          Dial-up and ADSL pool
descr:          PlusNet Technologies Ltd
admin-c:        PLUS1-RIPE
tech-c:         PNET2-RIPE