cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download/Upload Speeds problems fibre

alan666
Grafter

Download/Upload Speeds problems fibre

Hi all, we have been with plusnet for just over a year, all was very good with great speeds of 60-70mb down and up to 20 upload.

A wile back BT had some issues and most of the country felt it. since then we have experienced drops per month and now lucky to get 40mb, most days down to low 30s download. Sometimes our upload is showing double our download speeds ? 

We have the plusnet hub one, we have also been struggling with wireless outside of the room that the router lives, that would be with phones/tablets and laptops. We have tied positioning the router in many places within the room, also taking it to another room but still weak signals. We can live with low wireless signals however the download speeds are all over the place.

Any help with this matter greatly appreciated.

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
alan666
Grafter

Re: Download/Upload Speeds problems fibre

I have done many BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test's and get around 24-30 download speed and 5-14 upload ?

alan666
Grafter

More information, we are in unlimited fibre extra and hub one installed.

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@alan666

Have you checked if you have noise on the phone line be doing a quiet line test? It is always good to rule out the voice line as an issue. Also if you have noise on the line, it is quicker to get a voice fix.

The test is performed using a corded phone plugged into the test socket and then dial 17070 option 2. If any noise, log a voice fault with your phone line provider. Then return to see if the speed problem has been solved.

The Plusnet phone fault guide is at https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ and the troubleshooter is at https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter

For speed faults, this post outlines the basic information to post https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/m-p/1270253#U1270253

This is the official Plusnet check list https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-FTTC/ba-p/1322788 which includes the link to report a fault https://faults.plus.net

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
alan666
Grafter

Thanks for the information, I will check the above and report back.

Many thanks

alan666
Grafter

Line noise test is fine, no noise what so ever.

laptop is connected to the router via cable.

antivirus disconnected.

This was my result from the download test.

Think I may have to report a problem.

alan666
Grafter

I have raised a ticket as there does seem to be a problem. Thanks.

Here is a screen shot of the results.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Given you are currently getting half of your previous download speed then yes logging a fault looks like the best course of action.

Did you click the "Further Diagnostics" test to get your BT IP Profile and also it logs the speed test result to the server for Plusnet to check. (It only stores the results of the last Further Diagnostic" check so when you get a bad one then don't run any more until after Plusnet have actioned the fault you've logged)

If you complete the Plusnet official checks then you will have taken out of the equations most causes of internal faults (the ones that Plusnet warn are chargeable if Openreach turn up and find the fault is on your side of the master socket). One thing I cannot see them mentioning is to test with the modem/router connected to the test socket in the master socket.

edit: You posted while I was slowly typing this post, but hopefully the issue will get sorted by Plusnet.

alan666
Grafter

Thanks again @SpendLessTime. Yes I did further diagnostics to get a bt IP profile.

Prior to joining (moving in to this house) plusnet we had major problems with our internet, (we were with o2 at the time of moving) it took us 9 months and many many b engineers to find our problem ( a huge problem with main cables underground) all wiring was renewed including from telegraph pole to our house, new socket etc etc. Our problems really started when bt went down a few months ago. Yesterday we had a bt engineer (all day) working in the man hole (behind the telegraph pole) and since we are also getting disconnected. Ticket raised and in hope of a fix.

Thanks again.

alan666
Grafter

info I have been sent.

Thanks for reporting your broadband problem

Our tests have found a fault with your broadband service.

You've given us all the information we need about your problem, we'll raise this to our supplier for investigation.

A Ticket has been raised to our Faults Team to monitor the problem and we'll be in touch when we have an update for you. In the meantime:

1. Leave your equipment plugged in and powered up.
  2. Make sure you've given us a contact number we can reach you on (we'll keep you updated about your problem by text message).

If there's any change to the problem you're having please get in touch with us.

Your Response
9:16pm, Friday 26 Aug 2016
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Monday 29th August at 9:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the CSC - FTTC Faults - Speed until this time.

Script User - Automated Script Pool
10:04pm, Friday 26 Aug 2016
The Question 132489241 has been released from hold and sent back to CSC - FTTC Faults - Speed

Your fault Ticket has now been taken off hold.

This has now been forwarded to the relevant support team. We will carry on investigating your problem and your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available.

[INTERNAL]

Ticket now off hold. Please action.

Our Support Team will respond to your question soon. Please only add further comments when absolutely necessary.

Do I need to reply ? or wait for a reply on Monday ?
SpendLessTime
Hero

@alan666

Just wait for Monday for the fault team to look at it (Although as Monday is a Bank Holiday, I have no idea if Plusnet are fully staffed then). At least their tests are showing a fault so now it's a wait and see game.

alan666
Grafter

Thanks @SpendLessTime

alan666
Grafter

A week later and still nothing from Plusnet. 

SpendLessTime
Hero

@alan666

Unfortunately you sometimes have to chase them especially if they give an update date but don't seem to have done anything. The adverts give an unreal view of Plusnet Sad

alan666
Grafter

Thanks, I have dropped in 2 messages asking for an update but still nothing. Would they be able to help via chat? As I dont fancy sitting on the phone for a lengthy time. Cheers