Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed Halved

Reddog
Grafter

Download Speed Halved

Hi,
Since joining PN over a year ago i have had a solid connection 80/20 speeds.(77/18)
It's seems that for some reason i now only get 40/20 (37/18)
Is there a reason why my speeds have been cut in half?
Pings are the same so i'm guessing the profile has been changed but i have no idea why.
I have done all the usual tests and i think it's pointless because it seems to be on PN side.
Since about 27/7/15 this happened so i thought it might have something to do with the release of Win 10, since it's been nearly a week since then i'm starting to doubt that now.
Kinda sucks to have lost my 9mb/s DL speeds for no reason Sad
Can someone please look into it for me and at least give me an answer on why.
Thanks.
Alison.
9 REPLIES 9
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Download Speed Halved

Click on the following link, log into the Member Centre, and see what value it reports for 'Current Line Speed'.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Also run the BT Speed Test, then put in your phone number, and see what it reports for your IP profile.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

hmm going from 80/20 (77/18)  to 40/20 (37/18) looks as if some how you have been downgraded to the old 40/ 20 package not sure how or why that would happen, maybe someone from Plusnet did the wrong account or something i dunno,  i very much doubt that kind of drop would be DLM or even crosstalk related it's not that specific. 
Reddog
Grafter

Current line speed:
   77.4 Mb.

Pings gone up a bit too it's usually 11 to this server.
I've done a line test for noise on the phone and it's dead silent. Did cold restart on both routers. Checked all the wiring.
I did get a power outage around the time i noticed the speed drop but i get power outages pretty often and never before has it dropped.
I also upgraded to Win 10 around that time too but i doubt that has anything to do with it.
Terranova667
Pro

OK it wasn't clear that it was a speed test giving the result and not a Profile which is what it sounded like with your first post.
What does the BTW further diagnostic test give it will state what the BT IP profile is, the current line speed is for Plusnets side and that's ok so we need to see if the BT IP one has dropped or not.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure why you were seeing the higher speeds, the speeds you're getting now are correct for the product you're on. Unlimited Fibre is up to 38Mbps download speed, Unlimited Fibre Extra is the higher speed service.
Sorry, but without upgrading to the higher product the speeds you're seeing now are correct.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Terranova667
Pro

@ Chris i'm sure he would know what speeds he was getting and package he was on for over a year, if he said he was getting 80 /20 then he must have been on the extra package something has changed so  i dunno maybe check his history before assuming he is making it up.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I did check, no assumptions made. The speeds should never have been at 80Mbs, however they obviously were.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Terranova667
Pro

@chris Ok my bad,  i'm guessing the cap wasn't put in place ? although why it's taken over a year for it to happen seems strange.
Reddog
Grafter

So basically i've had the higher package for a year and now it's been caught by the system or whatever.
I didn't even know there was a higher package. How cruel, to give me 80mb for a whole year and then just take it away.
I'm going to contact my Lawyer and ask for alimony because i'm pretty sure you can't just give somebody the high life for that long and then just take it away. Smiley
I was just trying to find the original emails from PN because i think we were offered a deal or some promo you had running at the time. I remember a lady on the phone offered a deal if we took a longer contract (18months).
I just can't remember the details now.
btw just to clear things up, we did ask for the fastest speeds @ the beginning. I thought we had the fastest package, obviously not now. Please upgrade me back to 80Mb as that's what i wanted in the start.
I understand there's an additional charge for Extra but i don't mind that as long as the mistake you've made won't be charged back.
Thanks
Alison.