Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know where to turn

mmace
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Don't know where to turn

My first year with PlusNet was hell. I had BT out numerous times due to connection dropping once or twice a day, new routers sent out, lost a week of annual leave for all the visits.
BT replaced my socket, the drop line, the connection in the top of the pole, moved my port in the cabinet. Adjusted the SNR (permanently -took them a while to get this done) on my line to give slower speeds. Nothing worked until someone on here suggested a new router.
I bought a decent TP Link router and all my problems went away!

Now, 14 months later, I'm getting issues again, last weekend my router dropped connections for 10+ minutes at a time. After speaking to PN, they say my connection is out of sync and they need to send me a new router. You can imagine how well this went down after the issues I mention above. A new router may fix the sync issue, but it will bring back my old issues.

I've got one of my old PlusNet routers, I have another TP Link modem router and this one I've been using. After a day I'm now connecting without dropouts, BUT on each of the modems I'm getting 25mbps after a restart (I'm on the 80/20 connection), but over the course of 8 hours, the speeds slowly drop to less than 1mbps (upload speed stays over 15mbps) and I have to restart the router.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do here apart from moving away from a BT line and to Virgin?

I'm at wits end now. 21 years of no issues with internet, then PlusNet happened!
3 REPLIES 3
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Don't know where to turn

Hi @mmace

Thanks for getting in touch and for providing the history of your account - I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems again.

Although I understand that the previous issues have been frustrating, the connection problems you're experiencing now are unrelated to your router - you have an external fault on your line which I've raised to our suppliers on your behalf here.

Once this issue is resolved, I'd fully expect your connection to work as it has done previously with your TP Link router.

Best wishes

Dave

mmace
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks Dave, they came out the same day (it was someone I know) and it's back up to 40-45Mbps now. Still far from the 78mbps I was getting when I first joined, but it's something.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Great to hear it's been rectified!

I've just run a few tests over your service and you are currently syncing at 66.3mbps up to the master-socket. Are you seeing those speeds over a wired connection or Wireless?

Thanks.