cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain DNS settings not working

exileshope
Dabbler

Domain DNS settings not working

Internet dropped out Tuesday eve about 8:30pm.
Can't see any reported issues for Tadley.

From the router I can see I'm connected to the Internet but cannot see either DNS server on 212.159.6.9/10

Tracert to either generally gives;
<1 ms. Dsldevice.lan 192.168.1.254
11ms. 195.166.130.165
9ms. 84.93.249.97
9ms. 195.166.129.41
Request timed out....

I occasionally see a time out between hops.
Looks like I get out of my router but not much further.

Tried resetting my password and relogging in. No joy. Same this morning.

Looks like an infrastructure problem to me unless anyone else has a suggestion?
I've previously had my router drop the Internet about once a week and need a reboot but I've accepted this as the norm.

Marc
10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Domain DNS settings not working

I've spoke with our Faults team and they've confirmed there's a issue in the Tadley area and Thatcham too.

We'll update you as soon as we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
exileshope
Dabbler

Still no broadband today.

Yesterday I updated my password to login to report it here via my mobile as I'd forgotten the password.

Tried to reconnect with the new password from home and now find I can't connect at all to the net as opposed to previously I could connect but not access anything.

Presumably some work is going on?
I'm pretty desperate to get access back as I work from home a lot in IT and on call. I'm completely stuffed without it.

My immediate neighbours are with BT and not impacted so I assume this is a problem with plusnet servers not with the network infrastructure?Huh

Marc
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're seeing your connection attempts hitting our side now, however they are all coming through with 'password incorrect' messages. Can you log in to your router and make sure the connection password is correct.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
exileshope
Dabbler

I was trying that this morning Chris. Repeatedly re-entering my password by hand at the router and it refuses to connect.

I'm in the office now. May reset my password again on here now and try that when I get home. But I logged on here fine with that same password that I set yesterday.

Marc
Chris
Legend

The password for the forum is not likely to be the same as your connection password.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@exileshope

The password entered on the router ISP details is the one used to access the members centre at https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html (not the forum as that is a totally different system and not linked to the main Plusnet portal site)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
exileshope
Dabbler

Yes. That is the password I reset not anything for the forum.

And I've just used the above link to reset it again (complete with warning to make sure my router is on if I want it to auto update)

I then login to the router, add the new password and the same....
Connection could not be established: Disconnected by user
exileshope
Dabbler

A minute later it connected by itself as I was in the middle of resetting it again.

Now back to the original problem. I'm connected to the net but no access whatsoever to any DNS server Sad

Intermittently the odd page pops up. Mostly fails due to DNS.
Link status says 'connecting...'

Connectivity check shows ok for Ethernet and fails on ppp. Same as originally on Tuesday eve.

Ok a min later and a recheck shows its active now and connecting to DNS servers
Chris
Legend

We're seeing a connection now, are you able to browse without issues?

exileshope
Dabbler

Yes, i can browse now. Had several minutes of nothing,then connected , then intermittent connectivity while the router said either not connected or connecting..then sprang into life.

Seems ok now cheers!