cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this internet usage seem excessive?

Taaketa
Grafter

Does this internet usage seem excessive?

A little background. In our house we don't have a TV aerial. All TV is through our internet connection. Always meant to get one, but it works as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
So we stream a lot. I've got my brother who watches netflix on ipad/laptop/spare computer in front room. I've got his daughter/my niece watching youtube videos on high def constantly.
My question is simple since plusnet is the first ISP to offer me the tools to easy review and breakdown my internet usage does this usage seem excessive for streaming services if we constantly use it?
http://imgur.com/XAVLvJa
Your thoughts and insight would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Does this internet usage seem excessive?

Not really, streaming at a reasonable resolution takes a reasonable amount of bandwidth. Mines more than yours Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Taaketa
Grafter

Hmm ok. See I know my brother has been using VPN software to access US netflix. But I noticed here seems to be some P2P connections coming in using our bandwidth. Presumably it uses a similar system to TOR without being obvious about it. To limit that from impacting my overall speed I've put all the PCs used for streaming on a QOS service limiting their upload to 250KB/s and download to 2.5MB/s
Adie:quote
tonycollinet
Grafter

No, that is reasonable for a lot of streaming.
What speed do you have overall. If you are on fibre, I wouldn't bother with the QOS - in fact I probably wouldn't bother anyway, and let Plusnets prioritisation system sort it out for you.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Over how many days is that usage?
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I looked at my usage yesterday, I've been with PS since the 22nd Sept and I've used 68.98GB so far!!! I've put that down mainly to Netflix HD which I've only had a couple of months and don't use that much...so didn't really check usage before.
When I first saw what I used it took me back to when I first got ADSL with Zen internet...it was the fastest connection around at the time and gave me a MASSIVE 20GB usage a month which at the time was plenty. That would last about a week these days! Strange how we depend more and more on the internet for our entertainment!
Showing my age but I also remember 56k dial up with AOHell Cheesy
Taaketa
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone

Good question. Nearly a month.
Quote from: tonyAtplus
What speed do you have overall. If you are on fibre, I wouldn't bother with the QOS - in fact I probably wouldn't bother anyway, and let Plusnets prioritisation system sort it out for you.

I have it setup because anytime he streams my connection suffers.
Anotherone
Champion

@Taaketa
For nearly a month I would say that usage is very very reasonable with lots of streaming  Smiley
dragon2611
Grafter

My usage seems to vary a lot, on "quiet" months it's around 300GB I think the highest I've seen was somewhere between 800GB and 1TB
Over the last couple of months it was 340GB and 554GB.
Housemate streams a lot of TV to his Ipad, I spend a lot of time talking on Skype, Sometimes I download Virtual Machine backups/images which can easily be 100GB each.
I have a "business" connection but most of the traffic is Residential.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: Taaketa
Quote from: Anotherone

Good question. Nearly a month.
Quote from: tonyAtplus

I have it setup because anytime he streams my connection suffers.

Ah yes, re-read your post - if he's using vpn, then that is likely to fool plusnets prioritisation systems.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, we'd also advise that level of usage is quite normal for that amount of streaming.
There's the added possibility that the streaming being done over the VPN may show up as P2P too.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
KevH
Rising Star

At least you can see what your usage is. I can't. I guess it doesn't matter that much as I am on unlimited but it would be interesting to see how it breaks down.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Taaketa
A little background. In our house we don't have a TV aerial. All TV is through our internet connection. Always meant to get one, but it works as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
So we stream a lot. I've got my brother who watches netflix on ipad/laptop/spare computer in front room. I've got his daughter/my niece watching youtube videos on high def constantly.
My question is simple since plusnet is the first ISP to offer me the tools to easy review and breakdown my internet usage does this usage seem excessive for streaming services if we constantly use it?
http://imgur.com/XAVLvJa
Your thoughts and insight would be appreciated.

As I am currently on 4,231GB in 2 weeks - you decide. (most was lost when VMBU didn't show up so it shows less) but that's what I am on
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: slavo71
Showing my age but I also remember 56k dial up with AOHell Cheesy

I used to save up so I could go on it for 3 hours a day Saturday and Sunday - was £1.80 a time on the 0845 number.
Then 0800 came and we got Home Highway - 24/7 it went. Me and another Guide used to have a competition to see how long we could stay online for a month .
Sad I know Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: KevH
At least you can see what your usage is. I can't. I guess it doesn't matter that much as I am on unlimited but it would be interesting to see how it breaks down.

Is your VMBU still not working? I see you posted about it back at the end of January!