cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the ADSL still work when VDSL is activated?

SAKAUK
Dabbler

Does the ADSL still work when VDSL is activated?

Hi,

I got an email yesterday that I am live with my new product Business Fibre Broadband. However my router kept working and speed was still at the usual low speed. I spoke to customer services and they said i need to plug-in the equipment i got from plus net to get higher speeds. I told this person that my current router is supporting both ADSL and VDSL and the VDSL profile doesnot connect but the ADSL keep working. This bloke was adamant its a problem with my router.

Now for some reason after a week from the order i realised plusnet hasnot sent me the harware order, so i went to PC World and bought a new Fibre Modem/Router. And tried to use it and same result (ADSL connects and VDSL doesnot). I then had a online chat with customer service, this time the customer services say - although we went live , its not commited yet. And they said you have to wait another 24 hours to enable him to "escalate" the issue.  

I am really confused what is happening and i dont understand what these words mean anymore. 

I am running the business still on 3Mbps while i am supposed to be on 78Mbps.

Sanj

26 REPLIES 26
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Does the ADSL still work when VDSL is activated?

@SAKAUK

It is physically impossible for ADSL and FTTC(VDSL) to co-exist in the same line. When your line is moved to the fibre port in the phone cabinet, ADSL stops as it is now disconnected from your phone line.

So basically something has gone wrong on the order if the line is still running ADSL.

@Gandalf @MatthewWheeler could you please help and find out what has happened to this order?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SAKAUK
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought as much about ADSL/VDSL co-existing, I wish the support services is aware of this simple fact so the customers are not misled and stop customers wasting money buying new hardware unnecessarily. I spent £139 buying a new router as I am keen on the new speed.

On top, today I received 2 emails to the effect that plusnet have dispatched 2 hardware, I don't know if they both needed?

1. Plusnet Hub One - Business

2. Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router   

Anyway now I will have at least 3 routers at home , but no VDSL on the line.  

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed check that and it will still be on ADSL profile not Fibre, need to get them to update it

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm looking into this now.

Will update my post once I know more.

[edit]

It looks like the agent who scheduled your upgrade didn't place the order.

I've placed this for you now and we'll confirm the date shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

The Technicolour router won't work directly with VDSL, you need an Openreach VDSL modem which they don't give out anymore.

The hub one will work with both VDSL and ADSL. So this is the one to use out of the two you mentioned.

You may find the PC world router you bought will outperform the Hub one but you will need to set it up manually.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

It looks like the agent who scheduled your upgrade didn't place the order.

I've placed this for you now and we'll confirm the date shortly

Combined with the misinformation given by the Customer agents (see OP) which prompted the User to purchase a new router this a very poor outcome @MatthewWheeler.  Hopefully this order can be expedited and a suitable arrangement for the uneccessary user expense.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Whilst I appreciate the inconvenience caused, we won't be able to expedite the order unfortunately.

One of the reasons is that our suppliers are currently experiencing problems with the Openreach systems they use where they are unable to amend any orders (i.e. change the required by date). Appreciate the frustration by this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SAKAUK
Dabbler

oh God, are you suggesting that my order was never placed with your suppliers?

Despite the fact i have been in touch with customer services at least 7 times since i have placed the order on Thursday last week (I have chat transcripts for 5 of them , 2 of them were telephone) as the importance of the order is critical to my business.

I am actually glad i posted in this thread as otherwise so far all i got from the customer service was probably pure nonsesnse. I am now having second thoughts to see should i try to look elsewhere.

SAKAUK
Dabbler

And my current order date is 27/06/2017?? That is 11 days from today. Seriously???

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the poor experience you've received. The order is now committed for the 27th, unfortunately pushed back from the minimum lead time of 23rd, due to engineer availability in the local area.

I'm moving the ticket on your account to my team pool so that we can monitor the order for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SAKAUK
Dabbler

Thanks gandalf,

Will your team be monitoring to see if you can prioratise this (when the suppliers issue of not letting you update the order is resolved?) please?

I am sure there must be something you can do to prioratise the dates, is there no way to bring an engineer outside the local area? My business depended heavily on the go-live date (As i was promised for yesterday) and now suffering immensely, i am happy to pay any resonable amount (costs of an engineer or whatever) if thats a way to prioratise the date. This is how serious a matter for me at present. I expected your Business packages have this sort of flexibility. Please dont let us down. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SAKAUK wrote:
Will your team be monitoring to see if you can prioratise this (when the suppliers issue of not letting you update the order is resolved?) please?

Our suppliers HLE team have advised us that they'll let us know when it's fixed.

@SAKAUK wrote:
I am sure there must be something you can do to prioratise the dates, is there no way to bring an engineer outside the local area?

I wish I could, unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

We don't have a means of managing our suppliers resource I'm afraid

@SAKAUK wrote:
My business depended heavily on the go-live date (As i was promised for yesterday) and now suffering immensely, i am happy to pay any resonable amount (costs of an engineer or whatever) if thats a way to prioratise the date. This is how serious a matter for me at present. I expected your Business packages have this sort of flexibility. Please dont let us down.

The wholesale cost to expedite a fibre order is in excess of £200. In my opinion, this isn't a reasonable amount, having said that, I appreciate everyone has different opinions. Whilst we'll be happy to place the expedite if you're happy to pay, because of the current system issues, it's not something we can arrange at this time. Sad

I've discussed this with a manager, and we'd be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill once your fibre service is up and running.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SAKAUK
Dabbler

Once the supplier issue is resolved please let us know what is the date you can expedite for free (considering all this is down to the mistakes at plusnet end ) and the date that you can expedite for the £200. Then we will decide the paid option.

Basically if this issue can be resolved within next 24hours we would have gone for £200 option straightaway.

We are at present looking for alternative means to run our business as plusnet let us down when we needed it most.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The date would be the same. We won't be able to offer a free expedite I'm afraid, I'll be happy to discuss a gesture of goodwill with you once the fibre service is provided.

Sorry that we're unable to process any expedites at this point. I appreciate the frustration, we've tried several times, unfortunately our suppliers have simply pushed back advising us of the system issues.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet