cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know what router Plusnet Supply

gregholmes1974

Does anybody know what router Plusnet Supply

Hi all
am thinking of upgrading to fibre.  Plusnet have given me a fair deal but was wondering what router they supply and if it's any good?
Have heard good things about sky routers and BT, but no info on plusnet
Any info gratefully received Smiley
thanks
Greg
17 REPLIES 17
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Does anybody know what router Plusnet Supply

Probably the top one on  this page: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/ (that's their newest one, they still have some TG582ns though)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gregholmes1974

Ok, thanks - looks horrible doesn't it...And you still need the BT modem Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have one sitting next to the TG582n and it doesn't look bad at all
sjptd
Grafter

General opinion seems to be that the Plusnet routers (old or new) are adequate for most people but not really very good. 
I'm using the Openreach modem and the BT HH3 router: the HH3 is also generally agreed to be adequate (which it is for me) but not very good.
I kept the HH3 rather than switching to the Plusnet router because it saved effort in reconfiguration.
Some people find that the separate Openreach modem works better than an integrated solution such as the HH5;  I haven't tried so cannot comment directly on that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

For information
Here you can see a 2704n sitting between a TG582n and a BT Response 75 answer machine and a Gigaset base station
gregholmes1974

So could I still use my HH4 that I have plugged in ?
Razorback
Grafter

I use a HH4. All you need to make sure is that you use your plusnet username and password
gregholmes1974

OK, great.  Thanks for all of your replies Smiley
Ill sign up when they call me back tomorrow ...
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Jim , it looks  Crazy can you not lay it flat ? or does it have to stand up
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You can't lay it flat because the cables connect at the back which would be the bottom if you laid it flat
ruffage
Dabbler

Does the new one have a better range than the TG582?  I've only been a member since Dec and I got the old model, which seems as old as the hills.
1001imsim36

I joined Plusnet, on Fibre, on Jan 20th and have just had the worst broadband experience of my life. I was given the Technicolor TG582n Plusnet modem and from day one experienced bad connections, waiting for pages to load, etc. etc. I thought, at first, that it was just Plusnet tuning my system but when I got confirmation that my speed was now set, well, something had to be wrong didn't it.
I tried re-setting the router, changing channels, just about everything I could but still continued having problems, even wondering if my computer was not working properly.
Then, a friend let me try a TP-Link router and ........... BINGO !!!!!!!!!  ........All my problems instantly disappeared.
I hope that someone from Plusnet will read this and do something about replacing this useless Technicolor unit for me. I had heard rumors that they were not the most reliable routers out there but when you get a brand new one and it is useless, that is really bad.
To anyone joining, I hope your experience is better. In all fairness, I can't fault Plusnet for it's service, speed or anything else .... they just need to get a reliable and fast router as standard issue.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@KeithS Thanks for the feedback. Any information would be useful so we can investigate, though we are sending the new router out now. In defence of that router though, I have to say many people are using it without problems.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
1001imsim36

Hi Tony
Knowing that other users are using the Technicolor happily, although heartwarming, does not help me in the slightest.
You say that any information would be useful so that you can investigate, What else can I say except that when accessing simple things like the BBC website using the latest version of I.E. I sometimes had to wait nearly a minute before the page actually showed. This happened on both PC's used. That is just one instance of its problems, and that is on 40M Fibre!
Regarding solving the problem, my problem was immediately solved by directly replacing it with a TP-Link unit, making no changes to any other component in the chain,  proving that the Technicolor was indeed faulty.
Not being able to contact you directly regarding this, may I ask here if you could replace my router with another unit, regardless of make, as long as it works. I am happy to return this one if you could send a pre-paid label or arrange collection.
Regards
Keith