cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody else get 'moved' around from gateway to gateway a lot?

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Does anybody else get 'moved' around from gateway to gateway a lot?

I'm just curious. I check my connection speed every day and have a quick look at my Broadband Quality Monitor and then have a quick look to see what gateway I'm connected to. A few days ago I noticed that my speeds have gone up by between 4-6 Mbps (both down and upload) but I'm constantly being switched to different gateways.

I wonder whether this is down to something happening on my line or is it happening to other people as well?

Would I be right to guess that it is most likely my own line conditions coming into play somehow?

9 REPLIES 9
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Does anybody else get 'moved' around from gateway to gateway a lot?

I'm thinking you're line is getting disconnections if you're gateway is changing. I've never come across Plusnet actively swapping people around gateways.

Gateway hopping by dropping & reconnecting your PPP connection is always worth a try if your connection seems a bit sluggish (especially during peak times)

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes it just seems counter-intuitive. As I said speeds have improved noticeably so for now I'll adopt the old favourite and, "let it develop".

bluewhale
Rising Star

what is your snr, you can find this on the troubleshooting tab ( helpdesk sub tab ) via router 192.168.1.254, tha's if your using the plusnet one router

you might have been moved onto the 3db profile, if so you'll get faster speeds, but might get more drop outs

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I use a Netgear router so can't tell. After I posted I started thinking along the same lines myself and tbh it's not an issue just me being inquisitive Smiley.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Obviously I don't know which Netgear router you're using but I would be astonished if connection time and SNR info is not available if you go through the options. Look at the manual for the IP address - it might be 192.168.0.1.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I'm probably revealing my ignorance here but wouldn't the information need to come from the modem? I have a netgear R6250 router.

p.s. - I do get info for my PPoE connection from the router for instance I can see that my current connection time is  "1 Day 05:16:05". What first piqued my interest was a suspicion that I was seeing changes from one gateway to another without a drop in the connection (I realise that makes no sense).

bluewhale
Rising Star

yeah sorry about that made an assumption,i'm using the plusnet one, mainly because i need the extra ethernet port

longedge
Aspiring Pro

My connection dropped again overnight at around 3am as far as I can tell. In the meantime and while trying to sort problems out with my security camera I came across a post in the NETGEAR community whioch sounded as if it might be relevant. I've made the changes suggested to my camera (it's the same make as mentioned in the link) so now it remains to be seen if I can go more than a day or so without a drop.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

For the sake of completing this, it's finally resolved (I think) - 8 days and 10 hours uptime now on the same gateway so it looks as if it was the interaction between Amcrest Cameras and Netgear router that was the cause of the problem. The "fix" that seems to have worked was to specify 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my DNS and secondary in the camera settings, although I do have Plusnet server allocated addresses in my router settings.