cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the Faults Team Read Tickets prior to Acting?

baldrick
Grafter

Do the Faults Team Read Tickets prior to Acting?

This is not a sarcastic question. It is prompted by a problem I am trying to resolve for my neighbour who has been having ongoing issues with an upgrade to fibre. Last evening I spent a considerable time on the phone with one of the customer support agents and went through several tests. I was quite shocked to see that all that's been recorded on a ticket is something along the lines of 'automated fault finding did not work'.
A reply along the following lines recording what happened last night has been added to the ticket. It would be very unproductive if the faults team rang my non technical neighbour and expected them to go through the same procedure again.
If a member of PN staff picks this up the Ticket is 122018742.
For any interested parties this is the situation:
I think there are two faults. The following tests have been conducted on the test socket. To be clear what I meant by test socket, the front has been taken off the NTE5 box and tests conducted using the rear socket.
To eliminate the ADSL filter, 3 different ones have been tried with the same result.
1. Any telephone (including an old corded one) plugged into the filter phone socket gives normal operation providing the hub 1 is unplugged. Plugging in the Hub results in the phone dialling tone disappearing and the phone going dead.
2. Plugging my spare Open Reach ECI modem in place of the hub 1 results in normal phone operation. However the DSL light on the modem does not comes on.
I believe that there are two problems:
1. The hub 1 is faulty.
AND
2. Fibre broadband has not been correctly activated.
Currently nothing is plugged into the filter ADSL output.The phone is need so I can't leave the hub 1 connected. Would it help the PN fault finding if the ECI modem was left in circuit?
Also, if PN agree that the Hub 1 is faulty can they please send out a replacement as soon as possible? Activation was promised on the 4th March, it is now the 15th and my neighbour needs to get back on line without further delay.
8 REPLIES 8
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Do the Faults Team Read Tickets prior to Acting?

Quote from: baldrick
I was quite shocked to see that all that's been recorded on a ticket is something along the lines of 'automated fault finding did not work'.
A reply along the following lines recording what happened last night has been added to the ticket. It would be very unproductive if the faults team rang my non technical neighbour and expected them to go through the same procedure again.

Apologies for any confusion. The reply was an automated reply. As there was a problem with automated troubleshooting, the ticket was sent to a pool for our faults team to manually look through this.
Had a fault been found through the automated troubleshooting, the ticket would have been sent to the appropriate work flow for that type of fault to be raised automatically and monitored.
I hope this clears things up Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi
Have you tried an alternative RJ 11 cable to conenct the modem? How long is the cable you are using, is it new as supplied or an older cable?
What happens to the Hub one if you plug directly into the test socket( via an adaptor) with a new RJ11 ?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are both on fibre and you swapped routers with your neighbour (temporarily), then this could prove where the fault lies.
You might not want to disturb a working configuration though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

baldrick
Grafter

Thanks to each of you for your interest/suggestions.
the ticket was sent to a pool for our faults team to manually look through this.

Does this mean that the ticket recording testing is kepy internal and not shown to the customer? Is so why when any confusion could be cleared up by the customer before the Faults Team get to look at it?
Have you tried an alternative RJ 11 cable to conenct the modem? How long is the cable you are using, is it new as supplied or an older cable?

The cable is the new one supplied with the Hub 1. The same one was used when connecting both the Hub 1 and ECI modem to the filter. When connected to the Hub 1, what is probably a short circuit is applied to the telephone line by a faulty Hub 1 input circuit. When connected to the ECI modem, indicators show no DSL, which I believe will be caused by the lack of VDSL activation, although it could be an open circuit RJ11 cable This can immediately be discounted as when plugged in to the Hub 1 what I think is a short circuit is being introduced through the cable (what else would kill the telephone circuit?), I therefore do not see how the RJ11 cable could be at fault.
If you are both on fibre and you swapped routers with your neighbour (temporarily), then this could prove where the fault lies. 

The ECI router was originally fully operational on my fibre connection. We have a Huawei cabinet so I fitted an unlocked HG612 in place of it. So I have effectively tested it that way. In the back of my mind is the thought that there could possibly be a fault in the Hub 1 that has screwed up the DSLAM. A long shot probably but I'm not prepared to take the risk of trying it on my line.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: baldrick
Thanks to each of you for your interest/suggestions.
the ticket was sent to a pool for our faults team to manually look through this.

Does this mean that the ticket recording testing is kepy internal and not shown to the customer? Is so why when any confusion could be cleared up by the customer before the Faults Team get to look at it?

No, not sure where you've got that impression from? When the faults team pick the ticket up the testing results will be put on to the ticket.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
baldrick
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Chris.
The reason for my comment is because when I looked through the tickets earlier I did not see one describing the tests we went through last night. What I am saying is that it appears that the faults team start cold without reference to the tests conducted last night. Or, did I miss a ticket?
If you pick this up, would it help the Faults Team if the ECI modem was plugged in?
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Is the Hub one using the power supply it was supplied with? And has it always been so?  I have known several instances of an unwary / non techy customer using the OLD router power supply  for the NEW replacenement In one case this resulted in a fire!
baldrick
Grafter

Is the Hub one using the power supply it was supplied with?

Yes