cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do people still gateway hop?

Malcky
Grafter

Do people still gateway hop?

Just wondering if people still force a gateway hop in order to try improve their connection?

What were the gateways that were considered to be the best?

My internet speed seems to be dropping a little bit over time...had speed tests of around 72 meg all the time up until a maybe January 2018, now I cant seem to get any speed test above 68 meg at any time of day.

I know its not a huge drop, but its a drop none the less and I keep a record of the IP addresses I'm given whenever a connection drop happens.....I was on a 31.185.xxx.xxx address up until the 9/1/2018 (that connection lasted 138 days), since then I have had 7 connection drops and given a 87.113.xxx.xxx (twice), 87.112.xxx.xxx (three times), 87.115.xxx.xxx (once) and a 84.93.xxx.xxx (once).....right now I'm on a 87.112.xxx.xxx connection that started at about 2am this morning so will just need to wait and see how it goes.

17 REPLIES 17
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Do people still gateway hop?

You can try but since Plusnet moved over to their 'new' network, IP addresses have become much more sticky, as you have found out for yourself.  I'm sure that there will be a complicated explanation but i guess that the simple version is that each subscriber is allocated an IP address from a small pool.

The cause of your speed loss is more likely to be due to increased crosstalk as more subscribers get connected to your fibre cabinet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Malcky
Grafter

I know there is a "new" network within plusnet, has this now been completed and everyone is now on it or is it still being done in stages?

How would you know if your on the "new" network anyway?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

unless you are on a fixed IP Address you almost certainly are

this may help http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

You are currently connected to gateway psb-ir01.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

just ran that checker and got this lol

Which gateway

Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway; this does not mean that anything is wrong with your connection.

Posting the following information as a reply to the Gateway Checker Issues topic in the Community forums will help us to diagnose the problem.

• core2-hu0-17-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.154) 5.372 ms

does anything work properly here?

Baldrick1

It works for me, but then I am on a static IP address:

You are currently connected to gateway psb-bng03.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

Moderator and Customer

Malcky
Grafter

I am on a dynamic IP setup with plusnet, but have been trying to find out if changing to a static IP would help or not?

As for the gateway that I am on now:

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 11.12.27.png

Anyone know what gateway is considered to be the best these days?

Baldrick1

I suspect that 'which is best' is a moveable feast and that you are flogging a dead horse trying to getting a few percent better speed. The risk of keeping dropping your connection to try to improve your speed may be to provoke the DLM into thinking that you have a problem, which will have the opposite effect on your speed to that which you seek.

Moderator and Customer

Malcky
Grafter

No I have no intention of gateway hopping as I am one of these people that hate to deliberately drop the connection for fear of DLM kicking in and messing stuff up.....however as my line seems to have had 7 drops in the last few weeks, it makes me think that something it not right somewhere....(up until 9.1.2018, my connection was at 138 days) as the longest I have had since then is only 18 days.

I know some people will have connection drops several times a day/week/month and think nothing of it, but for me I want to try get to the bottom of drops when they happen.

For background info on my house.....its a fairly new build estate, only 3 or 4 years old....the cabinet is not that new though as that is on another street that been around for yonks and is literally 30 seconds walk away, all new phone lines are going underground to each of the new streets/houses and being accessed by BT/Openreach/Kelly services via manholes in the pavement....which I have one right in front of my drive.

andytay
Rising Star

@iangilf

I am on the same gateway and my connection slows whilst watching web videos and youtube.

Baldrick1

@andytay How do you know that it slows when watching web videos etc? If you mean that if you do a speed test whilst at the same time streaming data then the speedtest will show that the speed is down, you can't have the bandwidth twice at the same time.

If you mean you have buffering problems then of course that's a different matter.

Moderator and Customer

andytay
Rising Star

i have contant buffering on both tv and web it has only been doing it since i moved here 4 weeks ago Plusnet say there is no issues but i know different. I never had an issue whilst watcing catch up and surfing/downloading before till i moved here.

Baldrick1

OK so you moved house and your speed is different to that at your old property. Is that really because you have changed gateway?

Alternatively could it be:

1. Your sync speed is less because you are further from the fibre cabinet?

2. Your sync speed is less because you have a worse cable connection between your new house and the fibre cabinet?

3. you're having problems with neighbours using the same wireless channel?

4. You are using wireless and your router is further away and/or there are thicker walls in the way?

5. etc. etc.

If you have a problem and need help I suggest that you start a new topic.

Moderator and Customer

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I do.
I find I get lower latency on Colindale compared to Southbank.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

As others have indicated, due to the way connections are routed across our network gateway hopping is a thing of the past, unless you've got a static IP address or your service is provisioned on 20CN equipment at the exchange.

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet