cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to be present for my new fibre order?

libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do I need to be present for my new fibre order?

I'm trying to change from Sky ASDL to Plusnet fibre. I got an email to say that an 'engineer' was booked for Dec 3rd, but it wasn't clear if I needed to be at home, so I waited for an online chat agent to be free and asked. The first one I spoke to told me that I had to be home, then transferred me to the orders team to change the date to Dec 4th, and that agent told me that I didn't need to be home and the appointment was cancelled. Now I have a text to say that my connection will be ready on Dec 4th. I'm a bit confused...
Do I need to be home? (Can't see that there is anything for the installer to do within my property, especially as I'm using my own modem/router...)
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Do I need to be present for my new fibre order?

Do you have a BT modem?
What router have Plusnet provided you with (or said they will be providing)?
Edit: Just realised you said you are currently on ADSL not FTTC. PLusnet are in the middle of changing from engineer installs where BT provide the modem and Plusnet the router to self-installs where Plusnet provide a combined router/modem (actually a re-badged BT Homehub 5A).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
libbyf
Rising Star

Quote from: spoon
Do you have a BT modem?
What router have Plusnet provided you with (or said they will be providing)?
Edit: Just realised you said you are currently on ADSL not FTTC. PLusnet are in the middle of changing from engineer installs where BT provide the modem and Plusnet the router to self-installs where Plusnet provide a combined router/modem (actually a re-badged BT Homehub 5A).

I deselected the option of getting a modified HomeHub in favour of using a TP Link (which works with VDSL2).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In that case it should be a self install without the engineer having to come in to your house. The engineer will have to do some work in the cabinet to connect your phone line to the FTTC cabinet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Spoon whittler is spot on. No engineer is needed to visit, I'm flagging the confusing email up internally as this shouldn't be sent out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
libbyf
Rising Star

Thanks for the clarification. Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Which socket do you have?
See here
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm presuming a dangly filter is provided with the new router so that if the user does not have a filtered master socket they can use that.
libbyf
Rising Star

I've got a dangly filter in use with the ASDL at present. Will that work for fibre too?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: libbyf
I've got a dangly filter in use with the ASDL at present. Will that work for fibre too?
Yes, but it's not ideal. A dedicated faceplate leads to tidier wiring and might improve connection speed. The main difference is that it pretty much isolates the DSL signal from the house wiring. That means you don't need filters on every analogue device and it reduces the chance of interference picked up on the home wiring from feedback and interfering with the DSL. Faceplates are available from several sources (ADSLNation being the most well known). Most of them don't specifically mention VDSL but they should work anyway.
libbyf
Rising Star

Quote from: Andrue
Quote from: libbyf
Yes, but it's not ideal. A dedicated faceplate leads to tidier wiring and might improve connection speed. The main difference is that it pretty much isolates the DSL signal from the house wiring. That means you don't need filters on every analogue device and it reduces the chance of interference picked up on the home wiring from feedback and interfering with the DSL. Faceplates are available from several sources (ADSLNation being the most well known). Most of them don't specifically mention VDSL but they should work anyway.

I'm only going to be in my current place for another 2 months, and at the moment I get about 5/0.5, so I'll be fine with the dangly for now. Good info to know though, so thank you. Smiley