cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have the right BT socket for Plusnet?

hmrf

Do I have the right BT socket for Plusnet?

Hello,

Currently a Virgin Media customer considering a move to PlusNet.

Have rung up customer services at Plusnet and they have confirmed that I already have a line (apparently still active which I find slightly odd) that can be used for Plusnet broadband in my flat.

Is the attached image the socket I would plug it into?

I'm just really concerned about switching over and then it not working and being without internet while I wait for an engineer to come and fit the correct socket/line.

My concerns stem from my experience four years ago. When I first moved into my flat, I tried to sign up with Plusnet. They sent the box but when I tried to plug it in, it didn't work. I was then told that I would have to wait three weeks for an engineer to come out, so I cancelled the package and went with Virgin instead. As it was pre-pandemic, it was less of an issue as I didn't have to work from home, but it was still annoying.

So I guess my question is, does the attached look like it would work?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Do I have the right BT socket for Plusnet?

@hmrf 

Yes. There will be  a filter/splitter with two sockets sent with the hub, one for the hub, the other for a phone. Presumably your VM router is connected to a different box? If this is the case you can run both services at the same time if maintaining a connection is important.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hmrf

Yes - the virgin router is plugged into a different cable. I guess I could run them with an overlap (ideally not too much as it will be pretty expensive and cost is the reason I'm moving to Plusnet)

thanks!

Baldrick1

@hmrf  It looks like VM want 30 days notice of cancellation so I guess that it’s a toss up between paying for both services for a month or risking not being able to work from home.

If you are running the two services you will be given a new telephone number. If you want to keep your existing number you will need to talk to Plusnet to get it ported over to your Plusnet line before VM closes the service. Note that it’s not always possible to take over VM numbers.

Moderator and Customer

hmrf

Thanks Baldrick - don't currently have a landline (and not that fussed about one either way) so hopefully should be fine.

So I've discovered why plusnet had flagged that there was already an active line going into the flat. Turns out that there is an open account with EE broadband for my address and I am not the account owner, which is both weird and a bit dodge.

It means that if I wanted to go with EE broadband, I would only be able to (according to the EE broadband lady I spoke to) if I was prepared to pay £50 for an engineer to be sent out.

However, I have been assured that I should be fine if I go with a different provider (such as Plusnet) - hope that is the case. 🤔

I've got another question - if I go ahead and put in an order with Plusnet to switch to them, at what point would I need to ring up VIrgin to cancel, bearing in mind they have a 30 day cancellation period? If I want a 1-2 week crossover period with providers just in case there are issues, would it depend on how soon Plusnet can send out the equipment and carry out the switch over?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

Baldrick1

@hmrf 

If you sign up with Plusnet they will give you a programmed date for the change over. However you need to be aware that the work Is undertaken by Openreach not Plusnet. Openreach are notorious for changing installation dates and it is not unknown for  Plusnet to fail to pass on advice relating to delays to the customer. Add to this that Plusnet do not send out the hub until about 3days before the programmed date by first class post so can be delayed.

It’s your choice when to cancel but if it was me and my work depended on a continued connection I would take the 1 month VM rental cost hit and not cancel until the new service was up and running. If you read through this forum you will read of several instances where people have been left without any internet.

Moderator and Customer

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That active line sounds awfully suspicious.  I'd suspect that the line they are seeing will belong to another resident in the same block of flats.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I have to agree with notmyname Openreach doesn't usually keep a line active should you not have a number on it or go somewhere like Virgin that uses it's own equipment, unless it's different for a block of flats than a House but I wouldn't have thought so.