Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance to cabinet

FIXED
topfisher
Grafter

Distance to cabinet

Hi people,

The distance to my cabinet is 2.1 km by car and 1.5 km on foot according to Google.

Does this mean if I upgraded from ADSL to fibre I'd get low speeds? The BT website says a guaranteed speed of 54 Mbps, and should be accurate to within 2 Mbps 

6 REPLIES 6
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Distance to cabinet

Hi, 

I would think your actual cabinet is much closer given those speeds, would you mind PMing me your username to your account with us if you have an active account, if not your phone number and address so I can run a few checks to try and determine what speeds should be expected from ourselves and other BT network providers.

Thanks

topfisher
Grafter

Ok thanks. I'll send you a PM

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Fix

If there's any doubt as to which is your cabinet, you could identify the cabinet using the "phone to PCP" checker here:

https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

If the estimate is at all accurate you can't have more than 400 metres of cable between you and your cabinet. Of course the estimate could be a particularly bad one but they're not normally that far out.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Didn't realise I'd not updated this thread after replying to the PM. 

I've not been able to locate where the cab is, however the estimate definitely seems right given the information I have, I'd assume there's another Fibre cab a bit closer you are connected to Smiley

topfisher
Grafter

Thanks for the replies guys. The link was really helpful and as Darkfire thought there is another cabinet close to me and its number 14 which is the one the dsl checker is saying my telephone number is served by, so hopefully I'll get a decent speed.

I'd be happy with about 30 Mbps to be honest as I don't need it to be any faster than that at the moment