cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissapointed with FTTC throttling

andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Dissapointed with FTTC throttling

I moved from unlimited ADSL to 40GB/month FTTC in May this year having been very happy with Plusnet's service for many years.
Last night I was watching catch-up TV and unfortunately hit my 40GB/month cap for the first time since switching services. This was a surprise to myself but understandable due to the fact I've recently had family staying who were streaming and gaming over the Christmas period. As such, my 40/10 connection had dropped to the capped speeds which while I appreciate the requirement to cap, the connection is absolutely unusable. I believe the capped speeds are somewhere in the region of 250Kb/s.
To add insult to injury, on noticing that I'd hit the cap I decided to upgrade my package, when I found that the package I'd previously taken out (40Mb/10Mb bandwidth with a 40GB/month usage) had been replaced with a 40/20 bandwidth and unlimited usage).
Plusnet take note... my energy supplier notifies me whenever a new energy plan is released that is cheaper/better than my current plan... I strongly suggest you do the same. Having been paying £x/month for a service with a cap, when an automated e-mail could have advised me of your plan changes (you don't hesitate to let your customers know when the line rental is due to be increased) to make your long term customers feel somewhat appreciated would have gone a long way.
If I had known this, I would have switched plans previously (and remained a happy plusnet customer) but as I now have a home internet connection that is completely unusable may I ask that you review your caps with a view to increasing them to at least allow legacy customers the ability to browse (I'd suggest at least 2Mbps). If you can now offer all services with unlimited bandwidth, your network is clearly capable of being a little less restrictive towards those of us on legacy packages.
In terms of connectivity, the service has been very reliable... I'd like to remain with plusnet but the commitment to existing customers has always left me a little underwhelmed.
3 REPLIES 3
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Dissapointed with FTTC throttling

you knew you had a cap and if you went over it you would be throttled, so i can't see why you should have any gripe whatsoever.
you then try to redirect your annoyance towards plusnet for somehow not informing you any package changes.
note that my energy supplier, mobile supplier, and other ISP i have been with have never informed me of cheaper/better plan is available - so if your energy supplier did do that then one can only assume it was in the energy suppliers interest to do so (and not yours).
you've hit your limit, you got capped - sucked it up.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

And a quick 5 min search on here will show that this topic has been discussed ad nauseam  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Sorry if you feel let down, however we do have a large number of customers still on older products that don't want to change. At any time our latest offerings are available on our website.
The email we send when you reach your usage allowance should have a section about how to upgrade to our Unlimited products, did you receive this?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.