Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

Got to agree with @jafreer.

How are you testing speeds, wired or Wi-Fi, and is there anything else using the network whilst you are testing?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Mustrum @jafreer

Actually I'm going to disagree with both of you.

In a post by HarryB last  year, he stated that on the new network, Plusnet have control of both the upstream and downstream speeds. It was the same post IIRC that he pointed out that the value of the current line speed was not relevant on the new network too.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@SpendLessTime the key thing that can be concluded from the info provided so far is that the OP is not on a 40/2 BTW product. The variables left to confirm are the method of testing, and the PN profile.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Mustrum

Yep exactly. The BTW profile points to the wholesale product being the 55/10 (as does the sync speeds to the cabinet from the router) but the speed test is basically a 40/2 result. Indicating the new network is setting the limits on both up and down stream at the 40/2 levels.

martin2006
Grafter

Thanks all for the replies, when i originally signed up for fibre i was told it wouldn't be worth me having 80/20 as the distance from the cabinet was such that the maximum download could be less than 40 Mbps and since i have had fibre, which i believe was April 2015, the download has always been steady at around 38 mbps and the upload has been around 8 Mbps. I had queried the BT line tester showing 20 Mbps UL but I was told that 7 Mbps was all I could get. There may even be posts on the forum about it.

I am performing the BT test from my desktop PC upstairs that is connected to my Zyxel router by a cable and then in turn the router is connected to my master socket by a cable running up into my loft and down to by my front door. the speed had been solid for many months until January when i lost my phone line and my DL dropped to around 28 Mbps but my upload stayed at 8 Mbps. i raised a ticket for the fault and this was eventually resolved as a fault at the cabinet or the cable in between.

When this ticket was going through another ticket was raised by plusnet telling me about my new offer and what was happening and i kept querying this ticket as I had not asked for any new package. When I checked today my monthly BB price had increased to £14.99 from £9.99 and i also have line rental, unlimited calls and caller display.

I noticed my uploads were taking a lot longer than usual as i have to upload HD video to a file sharing site showing machine tools performing tests.

As i said earlier, my next door neighbour who is with BT is still getting 6.5 + upload which was tested on an old laptop while everybody else was logged into it so i would imagine a similar profile to what i had a few weeks ago.

Thanks again for the help

martin2006
Grafter

I have attached a few stats from when it was first set up in April 2015, i am a bit sad as i even have tests dating back to when plusnet were a reliable company to deal with when i had ADSL Wink

This is a thread i started when i first got fibre and also shows my initial router stats and speeds, back in the good old days ...

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Fibre/thread-id/14695/highlight/tr...

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@SpendLessTime Plusnet may have control of the upstream and downstream speeds on the new network, but I stand by my comment that moving to the new network should not decrease your upload speed. It doesn't mean PN don't have the capability, but nothing about moving to the new network should in itself change your upload speed. That is not to say that in this case PN are not limiting him to 2 on their side, but this is not a natural, or expected outcome as a result of a move to the new network.

You also mention that he appears to be on the 55/10 product. Surely that is not true since his attachment showed an upload IP profile of 20 Mbps? That would make the product 80/20 surely?

martin2006
Grafter

Thank you, I went on webchat today and they basically said I can pay extra for 40/2 or leave, i phoned and they said I was getting it too cheap and would transfer me to upgrade to 80/20 who said they would look into it and arrange a call back in 24-48 hours and then called me back in 5 minutes and said they can't upgrade me to 80/20 but i can leave if i want.

When i signed up for fibre, there were a lot of deals on offer for phone and broadband packages and i negotiated a competitive deal on a 2 year contract but as soon as plusnet had an opportunity they transferred me onto a slower speed package and increased the cost of the package by 50% which i think is outrageous. Everybody I have spoken to today from plusnet has said there are two options 80/20 or now 40/2, nothing else and as i can't have 80/20 as my BT speedtest says that I can only achieve 38 Mbps DL then I can have 40/2 or i have been encouraged to go elsewhere. When a few weeks ago I had 40/20. They transferred me onto a lesser package and charged me a lot more but all before my 2 year contract was up and yet if i had left before the 2 year contract I would have been charged.

The more I think about this, the more angry I get, it was because of this sort of lack of customer care, bullying tactics and the F off if you don't like it approach that i got from BT after they tried to charge me £120 for a fault with their equipment, that I changed to plusnet in the first place for all my phone and BB. Well surprise surprise BT, it looks like you have managed to **** this company as well, thanks for your efforts.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Let me take a look at this when I get to the office...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

martin2006
Grafter

Thank you

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I've looked into this @martin2006 and I can see what's happened. When you upgraded to fibre optic back in April 2015, your service was provisioned with suppliers as 80/20 but your account type stayed at Unlimited ADSL.

It looks like an adviser 3rd Feb tried to correct the billing by changing the account to Fibre. The only fibre package available on our systems to select is Unlimited Fibre (40/2) because your estimate is/below 40 Mbps.

I think I've resolved the speed issue now, can you try a single disconnect/reconnect and let me know how you get on please?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
SpendLessTime
Hero

@jafreer

Sorry I misread the BTW IP Profile but the real issue as shown by @Anoush was different to my thought tracks. (But still along the line that Plusnet had made the issue)

martin2006
Grafter

@Anoush, Thank you for your efforts, regarding the actual price i was paying , regardless of what service you thought it was on your system i am sure that the price was correct as far as a deal you did me to stay with Plusnet rather than change to an alternative supplier, hence the unusually long 2 year contract also, as i had offers from Sky and BT to change my phone and broadband over as a package.

I have rebooted my router once and the speeds are identical, please see the attached.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No problems. I've created this ticket on your account with more info in regards to the billing.

Leave this with me, I'll need to have a word with my colleague from the products team tomorrow to see if there's anything else we can do.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
martin2006
Grafter

ok thanks, the billing is not my main concern, the upload speed needs to be returned to what it was before your colleague swapped me over to the new network.