Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

If the VDSL light keeps flashes/goes off then that indicates the router is struggling to keep sync to the cab/exchange. In my own opinion, I doubt it's anything to do with too many PPP requests as sync isn't happening.

If your Plusnet router is working, then that's keeping sync which indicates something's gone wrong with your ZyXEL I'm afraid. I wouldn't know much about this to really advise further, but hopefully a firmware update will help things.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
dannyboy75
Rising Star

OP - I'd have to go agree with Anoush. This sounds like a hardware (router) issue all day long.

As part of my job I have to support numerous sites, all of which rely on DSL routers for their internet connectivity. Most of these sites have (or had) the same model of router and, one by one, they've each failed with very similar symptoms to what you're seeing.

Each time one of these routers failed, it'd lose the ability to establish a PPP session (or even sync), so we used to call the ISP, get line checks done, etc, but eventually realised this was pointless. In every case, when we eventually replaced the router it resolved the issue.

In your case, the fact that a different router works tells you all you need to know, IMO. I wouldn't personally waste any more time tearing your hair out and going round in circles trying to look for a fault elsewhere.

martin2006
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, I have to agree it is router related, it was fine when i was on the 40/2 service and it has only been since then that i have had the problem which could well just be coincidental that the router has failed at the same time.

At least now i can regain service quickly by plugging the BT modem back in. The router isn't that old and wasn't cheap so i will continue to have a play and post back my findings. My DL is a bit slow but that is probably because of all the disconnecting I am doing.

many thanks for your advice

martin2006
Grafter

Ok, as an update, i have been using the BT Modem and Plusnet router and speed has been poor again and i now have a lot of noise on my phone line again.

The Zyxel router has been returned under warranty for inspection as no matter what  I tried it would not connect.

@Anoush @bobpullen i have replied to the original phone fault ticket that is still open if somebody can take a look when you get chance please?

Thanks

Andy

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just tested your line and detected a battery contact fault. I've raised this through to Openreach and the estimated response time we've been advised of is by 08/03/17 23:59:59.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
martin2006
Grafter

Hi @Anoush, Ok thank you, the line noise seems intermittent, it was really bad last night and seems to get worse the longer i stay on the phone and again this morning it seemed fine for a few minutes and then gets really noisy again.

Many thanks

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

A battery contact can cause very intermittent noisy lines, fingers crossed it gets fixed soon.

martin2006
Grafter

ok thank you

martin2006
Grafter

@Anoush BT man has been out today and repaired the phone fault and my brand new Zyxel router also turned up today having been replaced under warranty so i am back connected with that and all seems ok so far. My DL profile is around 30 Mbps so i am hoping that will return to the 40 - 45 Mbps once the line has stabilised again and the upload is 7 Mbps.

Thanks for your help 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Awesomeness, happy to hear you're back up and running with your own router!

No problems, if there's anything else I can help with just let me know
martin2006
Grafter

Ok, thank you Smiley