cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

martin2006
Grafter

Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

I had an issue with my FTTC service at the beginning of the year and a line fault was diagnosed and repaired. I was on fibre unlimited and was getting 38Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload.

Plusnet arranged for the fault to be repaired and also raised another ticket to connect me to a new network without discussing anything with me.

Now the line is stable I can only get 2 Mbps upload due to the new package i have been put on and I can't be put onto 80/20 as my line only shows a maximum of 38 mbps download although my router shows an attainable rate of 44 Mbps. I have had a long web chat with PN and I have been told to basically deal with it as nothing can be done.

They also mentioned that a mistake was made when it was set up and I have been undercharged which sounds like total BS to me but another mistake was made and I am out of contract if I want to go elsewhere.

I cannot understand why i cant just pay for the 80/20 service as less than a month ago i was getting 7 Mbps upload before plusnet changed by package without discussing it with me.

At a time when rural broadband speeds are supposed to be being increased mine has been reduced which is infuriating to say the least.

Any advice would be much appreciated 

55 REPLIES 55
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Disgusted with new upload speed after package changed without consent

there has been a lot of posts about PN meager 2 meg upload Sad 

Previously when customers were on 40/20 which they no longer sell , they were moved to BT 55/10 offering BUT PN dont sell this Crazy2 and it daft they wont let you get 80/20

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, this is absolutely crazy, in a time when everyone is looking to improve broadband service how can it be possible to reduce the service available?

i had no warning of this happening, plusnet just raised the ticket themselves and changed me over under the guise of repairing a fault.

I am currently trying to see what BT can offer as there is talk of the 55/10 service.

As cloud based storage is becoming more popular and i have 5 security cameras all trying to upload HD video this is totally frustrating.

This is the sort of thing swearing was invented for !!AngryAngry

To make it worse these are my router stats

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 7.941 Mbps 44.353 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 7.916 Mbps 44.354 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 6.1 dB 6.5 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: 6.5 dBm 11.7 dBm
Receive Power: -14.0 dBm -13.4 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 49.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 20.6 dB 25.1 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 7.916 Mbps 45.960 Mbps

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What speeds was Unlimited Fibre offering back when you signed up for it? If it was 40/20 at that time, then it looks like you are on 55/10 currently, which is correct because that's what Plusnet transferred anyone on 40/20 to.

Presumably your upstream throughput speed is being incorrectly limited to 2Mb/s by Plusnet because they forgot about the older Unlimited Fibre speeds.

martin2006
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, I have been changed from 40/20 to 40/2 in January when i had a fault on the line. plusnet initiated a product change ticket, changed me to 40/2 from 40/20 and also increased the amount I was paying from £9.99 / month to £14.99/ month even though i am on a contract until April 2015, all without mentioning anything to me apart from updating the ticket that they started themselves without my request.

They have told me I am out of contract when I am not as i had a 24 month contract starting in April 2015 and i can go elsewhere if i wish.

They cannot put me onto 80/20 as my download speed shows as a max of 38 Mbps even though my router stats say 45, the BT checker says 38 so it won't allow them to connect me to 80/20 even though I am 'happy' to start a new 80/20 contract and accept my download will not change from 38Mbps but i would get back the 7Mbps upload.

So this is the result of millions upon millions being spent on improving rural broadband, less speed and more money, marvellous !!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes when PN changed products it caused a lot of problems Undecided why did they cut DL to 2mg ? just because

Talk Talk did ?  or was it because PN saved money on bandwidth , Whatever was the reason Customers got confused , Agents get confused every week Embarrassed PN says it sell 40/2 or 80/20 But in fact some older customers are on

55/10 ?Huh

where in fact it would be ideal for some customers who cant get 80/20  to be offered 55/10

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If the figures you have given are the current values you are not on the 40/2 product which would limit your sync speed to those values. PlusNet have messed up your profile in some way and don't appear to know which product you are on. Hopefully one of the forum reps should be able to find out what has happened but probably not until tomorrow.

martin2006
Grafter

Hi, thanks, yes and they used the fault on my line as a time to sneek it through without discussing it with me and then increased the price I was paying by 50%.

I have been a plusnet customer for as long as i have had broadband and regardless of whether this is out of their hands in terms of BTW, i should still have been informed somewhere along the line. i am totally disgusted as the title suggest. i guess this is what happens when a decent independant BB supplier gets swallowed up by BT

martin2006
Grafter

My current speeds when checked on my broadband speed are 38 and 1.9, my router is syncing at 45 / 7 mbps.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm sorry to hear of this.

I will check this out tomorrow for you.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
martin2006
Grafter

Ok thanks, i have spoken to at least 3 plusnet staff today.

I have run a speedtest on my next door neighbours BT broadband and can confirm that their download speed is 6.5+ Mbps so this isn't a change at the cabinet, it is a Plusnet issue.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are you able to post a screen shot of the result of a BTW speedtest? This should confirm if your speeds are being limited.

martin2006
Grafter

Hi, yes, please see below, i also ran a test on January 21st this year and kept the result which is what i was getting before Plusnet very kindly 'upgraded' me. As you can see, well worth the 50% price increase.Angry

Is there a swearing forum i can visit or should i just start smashing up some stuff around the house ?

I am sure there will be a newspaper that is interested in this as rural broadband speeds are such a contentious issue at present.

martin2006
Grafter

This is taken from one of my tickets, this is the one that plusnet instigated themselves, very interesting text in bold, claiming they are moving me to a new network to improve stability and connection - what a crock of ****, i have also had less stability and what a load of lies basically  

Your Response

11:17pm, Monday 30 Jan 2017

CAN YOU PLEASE READ THIS TICKET ABOVE, I HAVE HAD FIBRE FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOW, THERE IS A REQUEST ABOVE BY A MEMBER OF YOUR TEAM ASKING TO CANCEL THIS AS I ALREADY HAVE FIBRE. CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN WHAT IS GOING ON PLEASE?

[CSA Removed]- CSC Analyst

2:40pm, Tuesday 31 Jan 2017

Dear Mr Martin,

Sorry about the confusion. We are simply switching you to a new network which will improve stability and connection. There was an issue and it got mixed up in the normal orders when we manually processed it. These orders normally get processed in the background by automation. it's nothing to worry about.

Kind regards,

[CSA Removed]

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Based on the screenshots you sent, you are not on the 40/2 product. Your upstream IP profile is 20 Mbps, not 2. It also means you are not on the 55/10 product (nor a 40/10 product - which PN don't offer).

So it looks like you are on the 80/20 product and maybe PN are limiting your upload on their side? Or there is some issue with the line and that is the fastest upload you can achieve with it at the moment?

Anoush should be able to shed light on it tomorrow.

PS - moving to the new network should not affect your upload speed.