Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects every 5-10 minutes

geriko
Hooked

Disconnects every 5-10 minutes

Hi there,

So this is an ongoing 'thing' with my plusnet connection. It appears to be most prominent with one of my Macbook Pro's connected to the wifi (as strange as that is).

The connection simply just drops, the light goes orange and then a minute later it comes back. And then on and on it goes. I have had the faceplate replaced by a BT engineer and also the wiring checked. I have a new router from Plusnet and have changed all the cables. Still the issue persists and Plusnet - to date - don't seem too interested in trying to fix it.

If it were not for the fact I'm stuck in a contract I would certainly leave Plusnet. I've never had issues like this before and their lack of actual help is starting to grate. I will most certainly look into making a complaint with the consumer ombudsman.

I've phoned their support lines so many times I've lost count. Every single time they do the standard line test and suprise suprise, no faults found. We have had noise on the line since day one, which I am convinced isn't a good sign. Yet as I stated above, we've had BT egineers out (two of them) and both have been unable to find faults in the property and point the finger at Plusnet. Plusnet of course say it can't be them. So I'm left with a connection that is quite useless to me and a company unwilling to take this seriously.

I feel all I get from Plusnet is fobbed off with some rubbish they've not tried in a hope it will just vanish and I'll stop calling. The last technician I spoke to, told me there was a known issue with a recent firmware update on the routers whereby the two wifi channels couldn't cope with any form of uploading and were most likely the cause of our issues. Despite the fact our isses predate their firmware update, i decided to listen and I split the two wifi's by just adding a '-5k' to the 5k and ensuring they are not synced. This however has not solved anything and I still get the disconnects.

Now from what I can see I still get disconnects overnight when my laptop isn't even on, so the issue is clearly not just about my macbook pro, however the rate of disconnects seems massively increased when it's on, and it's consistently linked with when it's on from what I can see. I've disabled all uploads to the cloud, and I really can't think of anything else to do now.

Is anyone having similar pain?

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Disconnects every 5-10 minutes

geriko
Hooked

Hi Gel,

Since we've lived here we've only used Plusnet. I contacted the previous owners and they said they never had this issue, though I do not know their provider.

I've not tried any other routers as I no longer own spares to try. I am reluctent to buy one in order to try, as I've read many threads where people have done the same and it results in no change.

I ended up phoning support again today in order to inform them that the new PN router fails to make a difference and the bloke I spoke to informed me this is a known issue amoungst some PN customers and they've been looking into it. This does not give me hope though, as it's an issue I've had for a long time, so they obviously have no idea how to fix it.

Apparently according to him, it's to do with uploads causing timeouts on the connection. I will ask around and see if I can borrow a router from someone in order to try.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@geriko

Which Plusnet product do you have ? Is it ADSL or FTTC product as I've seen you posted in a few forum boards (both the ADSL and the FTTC Fibre board)

And which Plusnet router is used?

Also has the "noise on line" being reported as a voice issue or are all the Plusnet faults being classed as Broadband Faults?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
geriko
Hooked

Hi @SpendLessTime

I am on fibre. I didn't realise until after posting on the older thread, that it was broadband and not fibre.

I've no idea what router this is, it's what they send out as standard. The new one they've sent me is identical to the old, so I guess they've used this model a while. Is there a way to find out what particular model im using?

And lastly I'm not sure what it's being reported as. They never give me much detail on what they're actaully recording any of this as. And im not sure I can see from my account?

SpendLessTime
Hero

@geriko

I guess you would need to look at the old support tickets at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search to see if the noisy line has been mentioned as being addressed as a phone voice fault. If it was never been raised as such then that would be the way to go and just treat it as a voice fault, no mention of broadband issues (I'm assuming you pay Plusnet for your phone line rental)

The type of router should be identifiable from the pictures on the Plusnet router support page https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ unless it is ancient Smiley

geriko
Hooked

I will have a look back through the tickets. I can live with the noise if it's not related to the fibre connection issues.

And I am using a Hub One router.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Well line noise can affect broadband so any voice fault should be fixed (note I called it a voice fault as you never suggest to the ISP or Openreach engineers that you have broadband issue when reporting line noise, that just confuses them and gives them an out)

Edit: Also from the Hub One could you post the information from the Advanced - helpdesk page (blanking any identifiable information) just in case someone can see something amiss in the reported stats.