Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects at roughly same time every day

mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Disconnects at roughly same time every day

Here we go again...
(I regret having hi-jacked stutz10k's thread for this)

After a few days of reasonably stable behaviour, I've had a number of drops over yesterday and today and now, while my download sync speed remains reasonable, my upload sync speed has dropped to a measly 863kbps. However, that had briefly risen to 9075kbps for a while between drops earlier today. I've updated the ticket with further details.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@mcintosh Sorry to hear this.

I'll get your fault updated shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

@MatthewWheeler - Thanks, I've added to the ticket.  I sympathise that intermittent faults are difficult to deal with (I get those quite often in my own work) and that the engineers can't really "do" much if the fault isn't evident at the time they look at it, but I don't think this just going to "go away" by itself.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll get the ticket updated shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Oops, sorry I tried to check on the ticket status a few times and accidentally kept re-posting my previous update, as my browser kept telling me the page had expired and I needed to re-submit the previous request data! 

OK I now see the appointment is booked for Thursday AM, thanks!

mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Update following engineer's visit today:

He was able to show me a graph of the performance of my line that illustrated that it has not been stable for several weeks and was only ever briefly in the "good" zone. The line performance itself looked to be good on his tests but he was seeing the link producing hundreds of errors in only a short time so he suspected that the problem was with the card in the street cabinet and went off to swap my connection to another, That seemingly made the performance worse, so he swapped to a third card. That seemed to clear the errors and gave a reasonable down sync (close to 43Mbps) and a good up sync (nearly 11Mbps) and undertook to monitor the line for 10 days to check the stability.

I'm happy with the work and effort the engineer put in today, and I was glad to see that he could confirm that there was a detectable problem. At least "something" has now been done that could possibly make a difference.  That said, there still seems to be a question of Virgin Media's street works (about a year ago) possibly having had an impact as the engineer noted that they had often cut through the BT lines (which are quite shallow in this area) while excavating for their ducting and the re-joined them and simply tarred over with no record of where the joints were.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @mcintoshuk,

I'm glad to hear that the engineer visit has successfully gone ahead and of the work that has been carried out. Please let us know if you experience any further issues or drops in the connection over the coming days and we'll progress the investigation of the fault further along.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
stuz10k
Dabbler

Just to throw in my past couple of weeks, since I've been away.

After the disconnects seemingly returned at least once a day - I installed a new modem before I went away, I've come back this morning and I have had 14 days of constant connectivity. 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

That fantastic news @stuz10k

Please continue to monitor and get back to us if anything changes.

Smiley

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Since the engineer visit, things look to have been working fairly well, with a couple of observations: I seem to have been getting a drop once every two days, usually in the wee small hours or early morning. Each time the line has re-synced pretty much immediately and the downstream sync speed has gradually crept up each time from around 42Mbps, SNR 6dB, immediately after the engineering visit to just over 58Mbps now with an SNR of just over 3dB. It's so regular that I'd believe this could the line "training" itself to optimal settings and the drops have not been a trouble.
This morning, my logs show a total loss of service of almost exactly an hour between 1:03AM and 2:04AM. The logs show no attempts to re-connect during that time but the sync speeds were good when the connection was re-made, so I assume that some activity at the exchange might have been responsible. Noted these observations on the ticket for completeness.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Things certainly do look better

I'd recommend monitoring it a bit further

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team