cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting, possibly faulty openreach modem?

jt
Grafter

Disconnecting, possibly faulty openreach modem?

Hello, I've been having no end of problems with fibre, it has been going on for over a year since joining fibre, everything was more or less fine with regular broadband.
I have moved electrical devices that would cause interference, changed powerline adapters to different ones, tried my own router and received a new plusnet router, but I'm still getting drops and disconnects.
I've contacted plusnet at least five times and they've told me that everything is fine on their end.
Thing is the BT openreach modem I was given by the BT engineer was an old one he had in his van as plusnet didn't give me one, what can I do, can I be sent a new one, please?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Disconnecting, possibly faulty openreach modem?

Haha.
Have fun Plusnet giving you a new modem. They are adamant to not give anything.
I've called them personally and reported faults about my modem and they don't care (can't find a way to rephrase this without swearing).
And for your reference, the likelihood of Plusnet helping customers via the forums has also decreased, this is thankfully my final month of my contract, Virgin have decided to cable my street (with new silver cabinets  :o), seems like a viable solution to move from this very good, superb, excellent company. Hyperoptic have also been given interest as of new developments.
For me anyhow, I have a circuit breaker RCD on my switch box, this has been triggered by a faulty appliance which caused a break in the circuit. This has somehow "reset" or has done something magically to my ECI modem where it now syncs from 68.11mbps to 76.2mbps! (my line is 400m from the cab) Plusnet kept on saying there is no fault, they wont send me a modem, well, it fixed itself. I also have no more disconnections in the evening. Weirdly, a kettle caused this for a year  Grin
TL:DR, They should be able to give you one, but they wont.
I would personally get the Plusnet Hub One, which is apparently being sold to existing customers for p&p (One customer stated this in the hardware thread). This won't help though as disconnections are mainly as of congestions. Report the fault at faults.plus.net and then somebody can have a look if its disconnecting from the line. If there are none seen, it could be your wireless router or plusnet's gateways being congested (as usual)
If possible Plusnet, could you also send me a modem (or the Plusnet Hub One, though I'm not taking a new contract, I don't mind paying p&p), as my engineer from last year had to travel from London to the Luton exchange and back to London for a eci modem. It isn't in perfect shape, he said it'll do.
Oh I see.
"I've contacted plusnet at least five times and they've told me that everything is fine on their end." (mods, I am quoting with speech marks and not the quote box as I know that is against the rules. I have also had to rephrase a few uses of profanity; just for you. )
Yes, this is the congestion from Plusnet's gateways then. I live in London, and the pcl ones are just very bad, it disconnects most evenings. I usually restart my router until I connect to a ptn-ag one.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@ Over-the-horizon radar
I've taken a look over your account and can see that we've sent a new router out, however I would suggest reporting a fault to us if you're continuing to have problems with your connection. This allows us to dispatch an engineer if required and they can generally replace the modem if needed.
A good test to see if you're still having problems is by connection directly to the modem and using a PPPoE dialler, this rules out the router being the cause.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Quote from: Riza
I've called them personally and reported faults about my modem and they don't care (can't find a way to rephrase this without swearing).

I've taken a look at your account and can't see that anyone has viewed it since the fault back in August? Have you spoken to us more recently about this?
For me anyhow, I have a circuit breaker RCD on my switch box, this has been triggered by a faulty appliance which caused a break in the circuit. This has somehow "reset" or has done something magically to my ECI modem where it now syncs from 68.11mbps to 76.2mbps! (my line is 400m from the cab) Plusnet kept on saying there is no fault, they wont send me a modem, well, it fixed itself. I also have no more disconnections in the evening. Weirdly, a kettle caused this for a year  Grin

That sounds like it's not the modem causing the problem? If the speed had stayed above the estimate for your line then it's unlikely we could have done much to help really as even if we report this as a fault it wouldn't get accepted due to being within expected limits.
If possible Plusnet, could you also send me a modem (or the Plusnet Hub One, though I'm not taking a new contract, I don't mind paying p&p), as my engineer from last year had to travel from London to the Luton exchange and back to London for a eci modem. It isn't in perfect shape, he said it'll do.

Unfortunately I can't just send a new router out, if the previous one is proven faulty and is within the 12 month period then we can replace it. If your connection is having problems then I'd suggest reporting a fault so we can investigate.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jt
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
@ Over-the-horizon radar
I've taken a look over your account and can see that we've sent a new router out, however I would suggest reporting a fault to us if you're continuing to have problems with your connection. This allows us to dispatch an engineer if required and they can generally replace the modem if needed.
A good test to see if you're still having problems is by connection directly to the modem and using a PPPoE dialler, this rules out the router being the cause.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...

I have done the PPPOE dialler test without a router and received errors, along the lines of failing to connect to DNS.
Seeing as I've changed many things that I thought were the problem it seems the common denominator is the modem, the BT guy even said it was an old one that he randomly had, not a brand new one, he said Plusnet were meant to send out one when I signed up for fibre, but I never received one anyway.
Can I possibly have an engineer sent out please?
Thanks.
jt
Grafter

Can I get an update please?
Chris
Legend

If your connection is having problems then I'd suggest reporting a fault so we can investigate.

If you are still seeing issues we really need a fault reporting, you can do this at https://faults.plus.net
Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've taken a look at your account and can't see that anyone has viewed it since the fault back in August? Have you spoken to us more recently about this?
For me anyhow, I have a circuit breaker RCD on my switch box, this has been triggered by a faulty appliance which caused a break in the circuit. This has somehow "reset" or has done something magically to my ECI modem where it now syncs from 68.11mbps to 76.2mbps! (my line is 400m from the cab) Plusnet kept on saying there is no fault, they wont send me a modem, well, it fixed itself. I also have no more disconnections in the evening. Weirdly, a kettle caused this for a year  Grin

That sounds like it's not the modem causing the problem? If the speed had stayed above the estimate for your line then it's unlikely we could have done much to help really as even if we report this as a fault it wouldn't get accepted due to being within expected limits.

Unfortunately I can't just send a new router out, if the previous one is proven faulty and is within the 12 month period then we can replace it. If your connection is having problems then I'd suggest reporting a fault so we can investigate.

I'm sorry if I had made any comments about Plusnet, I wasn't in a good mood at the time  Undecided
Yes you are correct, Plusnet did tell me that my line was within my estimates and that nothing can be done. They did see my disconnections, but then it had been resolved.
Thumbs up  Grin
What's even better is whilst I sorted out the noise interference, the line is much more stable  Cheesy - you should start to inform those people who report faults that are within the speed range that REIN could be acting on the line.